Tortoise in Yard

mal652

Location (City and/or State)
California
While walking up my driveway I ended up finding a tortoise in my yard and I was wondering if someone could identify what species it is so I know if its likely to be a local tortoise or someones lost pet. I live in Southern California, Thank You.
open

open

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's not a tortoise. Its a turtle.

Looks like its probably a red eared slider, but I can't be sure from your pics. They need to be in water, but they also need an area to climb out of the water and bask.

mal652

California
Okay thank you, is there a certain way I should try and take a picture of him so you can have a more clear look. I put him in a shallow dish of water after I found him, but he did not seem to be a huge fan of it.

mal652

California
He also is very shy, anytime I get remotely close to him he goes about three-quarters of the way in his shell. But from what I have seen, there is no red on his neck area if that helps at all.

mal652

California
Never-mind, I just put some water on him and he perked right up. It is dark out now so it is a little hard to see, but I believe he does have a red stripe on his neck.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That is a slider " Trachemys Scripta". It's a water turtle. Probably left a nearby waterway to lay eggs. They aren't native to your area and shouldn't be released. @Yvonne G any advice for the OP on what to do with it?