Tortoise in Scotland?

Paulmerrie

Location (City and/or State)
Aberlady
Hi everyone.... does anyone on here live in Scotland? We're currently trying to decide if it's practical to own a tortoise in this climate.

Relic

Here
MAN! I had to consult Dr. Google to see where you are located. 66 F (high) and 53 F (low) are the highest average temps in summer. I guess it all boils down to your personal definition of "practical." It would have to be a serious indoor endeavor, but not impossible. Outdoor time would be fairly limited to just a few weeks a year? I'm afraid I would have to recommend a penguin...

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
MAN! I had to consult Dr. Google to see where you are located. 66 F (high) and 53 F (low) are the highest average temps in summer. I guess it all boils down to your personal definition of "practical." It would have to be a serious indoor endeavor, but not impossible. Outdoor time would be fairly limited to just a few weeks a year? I'm afraid I would have to recommend a penguin...

Average highs where I live through June and July are 66-67 and my guy will be outside from may through august. A heated nightbox can extend that a month either side and if you are willing to heat a larger outdoor enclosure they could feasibly live outside year round whilst they are not brumating.

These kinds of temps would be consistent for most of the UK except maybe for the southeast which is probably little warmer.

Relic

Here
It's hard to wrap my head around places so cool in mid-summer. Heck, we're already in the 80s F in my neck of the woods...I supposedly sprout from Scots-Irish stock, but I quite prefer the warmer temps over here in Texas.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
You are very wise to research before getting a tort as there is a lot more to keeping them properly that you would think. I became a tort owner by accident and had a very steep learning curve with no idea of what was involved.

It is possible to keep a tort in Scotland if done correctly.
Babies can be started in a large viv but you will need to provide heat sources and uvb. As they grow eveb the smaller species will need a minimum 4 x 8 feet enclosure. Do you have a garden for a secure outdoor summer enclosure? You will probably still need to provide a heated hide for a tort to warm up in during the day. Babies won't be able to be outside for long periods.

Some people have torts that hibernate over winter but it is not advised to just let them loose in the garden to do this as our temps here can get too low and it can be too wet for them to survive. or if its too mild and they wake early and eat you have to make sure they don't go back into hibernation. There's also the risk of predators - even rats - getting to them; it can be risky.
Those who want to hibernate torts must make sure they are the right weight and fit and healthy enough to survive and you must ensure the temps are low enough and stable - some use a dedicated fridge for this. It is advised that you don't hibernate at least for the first winter or 2, the tort is with you to make sure it is healthy. There are threads about hibernation which you can research.

When I first had my tort I was quite shocked at how my electricity bills shot up so that is something else to consider, plus the cost of feeding when the weeds disappear. You also need correct bulbs/tubes and thermostats and digital thermometers and hygrometers etc none of which are cheap.

So I would advise you read the caresheets to see what is involved and which species best suits your circumstances. This is the most up to date caresheet for the torts mostly available in the UK
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I completely agree with @Lyn W. It is perfectly practicable to organise something indoors for the first few years assuming that you have the space to do so.

Be aware that the things sold as tortoise enclosures in pet shops are all too small. Read the care guide that Lyn linked to and you will understand.

Once your tortoise gets near full size it is gojng to need outdoor time and that’s where the climate gets more problematic. This thread shows how I coped in the south