Tortoise identification! Please Help!!

meganbuck11

Location (City and/or State)
Liverpool
Hi everyone.
My auntie and uncle have had two tortoises since before I was born nearly! (I’m 25) they have lived in there garden for the whole time with a small house to go in when they want shelter and warmth as we live in the UK, Liverpool). They hibernate outside.

They have now given these tortoises to me as they have no grass in there garden anymore. So although I’ve done some reading, I need some help and advice from this wonderful community.

I have no idea on the species. One is male and I think he is spur thighed based on his pattern, but still undecided. The other is female and her shell looks a little dull and indistinguishable. She seems to have some damage on the back but this is most likely down to mating as the male does a lot of butting and nipping at her. So firstly I would like to know if anyone can help me identify her species but also, if this dullness is damage to the shell/a problem or just age? (Also little white specs have appeared which I’m also a little curious about)!

Attachments

• 6D3EA6FC-875B-434F-ADFE-1FC4CF657A32.jpeg
    6D3EA6FC-875B-434F-ADFE-1FC4CF657A32.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 34
  • F4A717D4-3051-4AE8-8E63-D8248659AE82.jpeg
    F4A717D4-3051-4AE8-8E63-D8248659AE82.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 34
  • 6735405F-E0DC-4264-8064-2CAF7D26EBAB.jpeg
    6735405F-E0DC-4264-8064-2CAF7D26EBAB.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 34

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Take a picture of the plastron underneath, and the tail area too. This will help with male and female, along with the species.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi, it looks like to have a couple of Greeks there. As mentioned, clear photos of their undersides including the tail will confirm this.

The dullness is natural wear and tear casued by their age.

Care knowledge has changed drastically since they, and my Joe, were i,ported to the UK all those years ago. Once we are certain on species, we can advise you properl.

In the meantime you may find this helpful about keeping a tortoise outdoors in the UK

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Wow, you win the award for most weather beaten tortoise! Looks like he's had a hard life outside.

This looks to me like an Ibera Greek (spur-thigh) Testudo graeca ibera.

Post some photos of the female if you can.

meganbuck11

Liverpool
Wow, you win the award for most weather beaten tortoise! Looks like he's had a hard life outside.

This looks to me like an Ibera Greek (spur-thigh) Testudo graeca ibera.

Post some photos of the female if you can.
Oh no! Could this effect the health of the tortoise now? The photos there are of Gertie (the female). I hadn’t seen much info of tortoises living the way they had the last 25 years so I was abit concerned this may have done some damage.
Thanks for helping identify! I will post some of the male (Billy) tomorrow, as well as the plastron of both.

meganbuck11

Liverpool
A
Hi, it looks like to have a couple of Greeks there. As mentioned, clear photos of their undersides including the tail will confirm this.

Care knowledge has changed drastically since they, and my Joe, were i,ported to the UK all those years ago. Once we are certain on species, we can advise you properl.

In the meantime you may find this helpful about keeping a tortoise outdoors in the UK
Thankyou! This is a massive help!! ???? Joe looks absolutely fabulous btw!

meganbuck11

Liverpool

would you say that the male is Greek as well? This is Billy! I havnt took any photos of the underneith as I need an extra pair of hands!

Attachments

• 53282EF0-1F6B-45AE-B307-933BCD1032A1.jpeg
    53282EF0-1F6B-45AE-B307-933BCD1032A1.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 16

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
would you say that the male is Greek as well? This is Billy! I havnt took any photos of the underneith as I need an extra pair of hands!

Nice, he looks a little less weathered. This also looks like another Greek to me. It wouldn't hurt to flip him over for just a few seconds to take a pic.