Tortoise Identification and Still in Hibernation

Jlandon11

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
We moved into our new home in June of last year. The previous owners had two tortoises that they could not bring with them, we are in Arizona and they were moving to the Midwest. We weren’t given really any instruction on how to care for them besides knowing they would go into hibernation during the winter months. Well in October they disappeared under our shed outside. One of them came out about a month ago, but the other has still yet to be seen. I am assuming the worst and figuring I will have to find a way to get under the shed to confirm that one of them has passed, but hoping that it’ll still be a alive.

Are they both desert tortoises, and should I be alarmed the second one isn’t out yet?

Attachments

• CBA7BED5-085E-4729-9EB4-A671BAF3BD63.png
    CBA7BED5-085E-4729-9EB4-A671BAF3BD63.png
    447.4 KB · Views: 24
  • F5E18D01-AF64-443F-B8D4-C092B980E40A.png
    F5E18D01-AF64-443F-B8D4-C092B980E40A.png
    972.6 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 24

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No way to know what went on down there. This is why you don't let them hibernate outside.

Here is the correct care info:

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
I’m sorry that this happened to you, someone left you with a animal because you bought the property? And it seems they didn’t even give you any resources to provide proper care. This isn’t fair to you or the animals. Please read the link that was provided above and good luck, I’m sorry and I hope he comes out soon and isn’t gone. And welcome to the forum please stay and figure out the care that these guys need since you already put in this position.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had one that didn't come out of the hibernaculuum too, and when I go in there to find her, she was dead. You need to dig into your tortoise and see if she is still alive.