Tortoise ID: Friend Gifted a Tortoise

Brendelwood

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA
Hi All,

I have a friend that has taken on the care of a tortoise. He received this tortoise from a neighbor that could no longer care for it. I'm no pro at identifying the minor details of the different species and could use some help getting this guy setup with the proper care. Here are a few pictures:

IMG_6555.jpeg IMG_6556.jpeg IMG_6558.jpeg IMG_6559.jpeg

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Hi All,

I have a friend that has taken on the care of a tortoise. He received this tortoise from a neighbor that could no longer care for it. I'm no pro at identifying the minor details of the different species and could use some help getting this guy setup with the proper care. Here are a few pictures:

View attachment 281938View attachment 281939View attachment 281940View attachment 281941

Def. A desert tortoise. I would even say texas tortoise because of the head markings. They stay a little smaller than ca desert tortoises, how big is he/she ?

Kyle

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's just something a little bit off that keeps me from calling it a desert tortoise. I'd like to see the plastron (the underside). I'm pretty sure it's a Gopherus berlandieri, but a plastron shot would cinch it.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
He is awesome. But am I seeing like there is something tied around his left front leg?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I agree with @Yvonne G Looks like a Texas Tortoise - Gopherus berlaneieri to me as well. The eyes, head shape and scalation on front legs. The overall shape. The slightly wider 3rd vertebral...
Yeah that's why I say texas tortoise too. I have 3 of them and looks like mine, but I can't tell how big this tortoise is... if its 12-13 inches probably not a texas. Head markings form me give it away the have those 2 Mark's on the head that yell texas tortoise to me lol.. but again I do see 3 of them everyday

Kyle

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He is awesome. But am I seeing like there is something tied around his left front leg?
It's probably just dead grass, but it DOES sort of look like that plastic mesh that you find in sod, doesn't it?

@Brendelwook : Ask your friend to look closely, in very bright light, at the crease on both front legs above the toes to make sure there's nothing in there, or wrapped around inside that crease

Brendelwood

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
It's probably just dead grass, but it DOES sort of look like that plastic mesh that you find in sod, doesn't it?

@Brendelwook : Ask your friend to look closely, in very bright light, at the crease on both front legs above the toes to make sure there's nothing in there, or wrapped around inside that crease
I believe that's just some mud caked up on the feet. The new owner just created an account and will be able to chime in soon.

Koopah K

Antioch, CA.
There's just something a little bit off that keeps me from calling it a desert tortoise. I'd like to see the plastron (the underside). I'm pretty sure it's a Gopherus berlandieri, but a plastron shot would cinch it.

I believe that's just some mud caked up on the feet. The new owner just created an account and will be able to chime in soon.

I agree with @Yvonne G Looks like a Texas Tortoise - Gopherus berlaneieri to me as well. The eyes, head shape and scalation on front legs. The overall shape. The slightly wider 3rd vertebral...

Def. A desert tortoise. I would even say texas tortoise because of the head markings. They stay a little smaller than ca desert tortoises, how big is he/she ?

Kyle

Thanks All for chiming in on our new addition to our family. Wife & I are first time tortoise owners. Brendelwood has been a BIG help to us with care and even informing us about this website Tortoiseforum.org site. Being first time turtle/ tortoise owners we have very limited knowledge on tortoise care. a little bit about us. Wife and I have had Koopa K for approximately 2-3 months. He roams around in our backyard and we feed him leafy greens. Since the cold season is coming fast. We have been bringing inside our warm home at night, And putting him out during the day. Is this ok for the long term or should we consider some kind of permanent house for him.

PS
That is mud cake around his foot. He has been roaming around our backyard and digging into soft ground.

Attachments

• IMG_6595.jpg
    IMG_6595.jpg
    730.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6596.jpg
    IMG_6596.jpg
    760 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6597.jpg
    IMG_6597.jpg
    716.2 KB · Views: 16

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thanks All for chiming in on our new addition to our family. Wife & I are first time tortoise owners. Brendelwood has been a BIG help to us with care and even informing us about this website Tortoiseforum.org site. Being first time turtle/ tortoise owners we have very limited knowledge on tortoise care. a little bit about us. Wife and I have had Koopa K for approximately 2-3 months. He roams around in our backyard and we feed him leafy greens. Since the cold season is coming fast. We have been bringing inside our warm home at night, And putting him out during the day. Is this ok for the long term or should we consider some kind of permanent house for him.

PS
That is mud cake around his foot. He has been roaming around our backyard and digging into soft ground.
Could be a girl???