Tortoise Hybrids

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
Hello,

A post on FB today shared a pic of what looked to my eye to be a regular redfoot tortoise, but which the person sharing the photo said was a redfoot/sulcata hybrid.

56675282_2394848750547326_8884981605236473856_n.jpg

I'm interested in finding out more about hybrid tortoises, and how hybridizing works, in theory as well as in practice.

I'd be grateful if some of you could share your experience, links to articles on the subject, and/or pictures of hybrid tortoises.

I'm trying to parse out to what degree the various types of tortoises hybridizing would be chihuahua/great dane VS horse/mule ....

Thanks,

Jamie

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I'm skeptical about that post. They also said their adult Redfoot is a hypo and if you look at the picture they posted it's clearly not

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Jamie
Red foot torts need fruit and meat!
Sulcata ‘s need grass ( fiber ) fruit and meat isn’t good for Sulcata ‘s they need sun light !
Redfoots need more shade ! So the person that did this really better stick to goldfish ( he’s not real bright ) [emoji217]

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
There are many threads on TFO covering this topic. I know it's less interesting to read "old" posts, but the info is still good, and some of the explanations are great.

I have seen images of hybrids between red foots and radiated, red foots and sulcata, red foots and yellow foots, sulcata and leopards, and many intergrades between subspecies of greeks and hermann's.

Many of these are images I have seen here as well as elsewhere.

Obviously some folks think it's cool and all. I tend to be more interested in keeping like species, geographic variants and other distinctions clear and un-muddled.

Use the search box at the top right with the term 'hybrid' when you are on the page that shows all the subforums. It's a topic that might be in anyone of several subforums.

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
I saw a comment on Facebook where the breeder of these hybrids claims it was unexpected and accidental.

Hmmm....well if they are housing different species together in the first place, what did they think would happen?! Just another perfect example and reason to not house different species together.

I think they were also trying to sell them for $2,500 each.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
There are many threads on TFO covering this topic. I know it's less interesting to read "old" posts, but the info is still good, and some of the explanations are great.

I did search and read the old threads, and found them lacking in both links and pictures ....

Jamie

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-question-i-got-today….140805/#post-1314662 . image of a published account of redfoot w/ radiated

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-x-redfoot-hybrid.142857/ . image of sulcata redfoot hybrid

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/redfoot-yellowfoot-hybrid.113781/ . redfoot and yellowfoot

I think you don't know how to search, or you are just good at getting someone else to do it for you. There are more, knock yourself out.
Even though I am really angry with TFO for the blow-up of pop-up/in ads etc, there is no denying it has become to biggest library of tortoise information. Lots of it is crap to be sure. But lots is information you are only going find here, as in a one stop place.

I did search and read the old threads, and found them lacking in both links and pictures ....

Jamie

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Now today these HET "Redcatas" are for sale. I'm not buying it.