Tortoise Houses/Enclosures

brenrn

5 Year Member
Hi there,
I recently set up a quick outdoor enclosure using 2 existing raised garden beds. It's not ideal as it's not deep enough and it has raised corner posts so it was tough to cover it. I have chicken wire over it now but there is a gap in the middle. Is there anyplace in the US that sells tortoise enclosures/houses?? I've found some great runs and night boxes on sites like Cosy Tortoise but I can't find anything in the US. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it! I DO NOT want to build anything. My husband is busy with other things and can't help me and I'm not at all good with tools.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You don't need tools to position cinderblock into an escape-proof outdoor habitat. You can do it yourself quickly and easily. Just make sure you start with a level spot so the block stack cleanly.

I applaud your effort to get your tortoise outside for real sunshine! I don't think the manufactured tort houses are big enough and are a waste of money. You can do it quickly and easily yourself. Here's an example:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/enclosure-expansion.38788/

You can make it as big or as small as you want.

Sheldon the russian tortoise

5 Year Member
@yvonneg what if she got two of the zoomed tortoise houses and combined them would that be enough space??? If she absolutely doesn't wanna build something?

David

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, two put together would be ok for a hatchling.

brenrn

5 Year Member
You don't need tools to position cinderblock into an escape-proof outdoor habitat. You can do it yourself quickly and easily. Just make sure you start with a level spot so the block stack cleanly.

I applaud your effort to get your tortoise outside for real sunshine! I don't think the manufactured tort houses are big enough and are a waste of money. You can do it quickly and easily yourself. Here's an example:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/enclosure-expansion.38788/

You can make it as big or as small as you want.
It involves digging, dragging cinderblocks and that's exactly what I don't want to do. Thanks though! I'll find something that'll work.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
The UK has a lot more options for buying pre made tortoise enclosures. We don't seem to have those much in the US.

A raised bed can work very well for a tortoise enclosure. How about looking on Craigslist for people who make raised beds? There are also people who sell chicken coops, rabbit hutches, etc. They would probably deliver them.
You can get a raised be @ 4'x16', for example. When you tell them what you want, they may be able to fashion a lid of hardware mesh with a wood frame. It is a lot easier to make a lid for a rectangular raised bed than a square one.
You can have an area cleared out, with chicken wire staked into the ground, so they can set it on top.

Then all you would have to do is backfill with garden soil (untreated).

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
How deep do you want it? I have a pen made out of 2 x 12's with hardware cloth above and below it. But I really don't know of a way to have one that's premade. You can always hire somebody to make one if that is an option. There are things like kiddie pools, I saw a thread on here were somebody used an inflatable pool that seem to work pretty well. Maybe that premade pond forms? I don't know the exact term for those. All of these could have an easy chicken wire with the frame covering. I have not seen any prebuilt Tortoise runs except the chicken coop or rabbit run type. And even with those you should block the bottom with something so the Tortoise can't see out and isn't trying to push through the wire. Sorry I couldn't be more help. I have to of the zoo med Tortoise houses put together for my indoor enclosure but that still takes a little bit of work to get them hooked together.

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Where are you located ? How big you want it? Indoors or outdoors?
What breed and size of tortoise you have?

London my lovely Sulcata tortoise :0))

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
You said outdoors

London my lovely Sulcata tortoise :0))

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Going with the teenager idea, call the local high school or community college shop teacher and see it they have any advice on cheap labor. Or perhaps they would pre build something that you could pick up and bolt together.

firewire

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma City