Tortoise help (humidity, enclosure, protien, skin)

Blackberry

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Hi! I've had my red foot for about 2 months, and i rescued her, and shes not in the best shape. But she has been doing a lot better. I have a 50 gallon glass aquarium with a screen on the top as n enclosure, and I've been wondering how to get an affordable new bigger enclosure. I also have been wondering ways to keep the humidity up. I'm gone at school for about 6 hours a day, and I can't put any news paper on the top of the enclosure. My Mom wont allow any mice or live crickets or bugs in the house or anywhere near the house, so I've been feeding her a very little amount of dog kibble. The last time i gave her an egg she threw up, and had runny poo. Even though i keep the humidity at 70% (i can never keep the humidity higher than that for longer than 30 min.) Her skin is still very dry on her head.

Bee62

Germany
Hi! I've had my red foot for about 2 months, and i rescued her, and shes not in the best shape. But she has been doing a lot better. I have a 50 gallon glass aquarium with a screen on the top as n enclosure, and I've been wondering how to get an affordable new bigger enclosure. I also have been wondering ways to keep the humidity up. I'm gone at school for about 6 hours a day, and I can't put any news paper on the top of the enclosure. My Mom wont allow any mice or live crickets or bugs in the house or anywhere near the house, so I've been feeding her a very little amount of dog kibble. The last time i gave her an egg she threw up, and had runny poo. Even though i keep the humidity at 70% (i can never keep the humidity higher than that for longer than 30 min.) Her skin is still very dry on her head.

Hello and a very warm welcome to the forum. Can you please upload some pics of your tortoise and the enclosure ? With pics it is much easier for us to see problems and give you advices.

How old is your redfoot and how big ? There are many ways to keep humidity high. Which substrate do you use ? Do you soak her and has she accsess to water in her enclosure ?
For protein you can feed dryed mealworms and little dryed fish.

Blackberry

Washington
Hello and a very warm welcome to the forum. Can you please upload some pics of your tortoise and the enclosure ? With pics it is much easier for us to see problems and give you advices.

How old is your redfoot and how big ? There are many ways to keep humidity high. Which substrate do you use ? Do you soak her and has she accsess to water in her enclosure ?rinks from
For protein you can feed dryed mealworms and little dryed fish.
I have no idea how old she is, and she is full grown. I cut and clean my own tree bark and mix it with cyprs mulch. She had a large area of water that she can drink and soak in. i soak her once a month. I cant post pictures at the moment, but i may be able to tomorrow

Henrym1111

Florida
I have no idea how old she is, and she is full grown. I cut and clean my own tree bark and mix it with cyprs mulch. She had a large area of water that she can drink and soak in. i soak her once a month. I cant post pictures at the moment, but i may be able to tomorrow
If you want A cheap enclosure, build one yourself, way cheaper than buying a terrarium. To keep the humidity up, you have to have a cover enclosure, spray it down with water every few hours if you already don’t, also if you don’t already have a substrate that holds moisture buy one, I recommend eco earth. giving your tortoise soaks every day for at least 25 minutes should help with the dry head. Try having water accessable every where for your tort, hydration is super important for all torts. I made all of these mistakes and when i fixed them, I had a happy, and healthy sulcata. Best of luck :)

Henrym1111

Florida
Not trying to sound mean but, no wonder why your Red Foot’s head is so dry, you only soak her once a month! You need to start soaking her everyday for atleast 20 to 30 minutes a day!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Search “closed chamber” here on the forum for ideas. Pictures of your glass terrarium would be helpful. Nothing wrong with glass terrariums so long as they are large enough and you can cover the top (tinfoil, shower curtain,etc.) to keep heat/humidity in.

How large is the tortoise? Once mine were a year old, i stopped soaking them. Prior to that i soaked my hatchlings every couple days. They have access to water and know when they need it. Most of us use ceramic plant saucers for watering dishes. The torti can easily walk in/out. Change it daily.View attachment 223844

Blackberry

Washington
Search “closed chamber” here on the forum for ideas. Pictures of your glass terrarium would be helpful. Nothing wrong with glass terrariums so long as they are large enough and you can cover the top (tinfoil, shower curtain,etc.) to keep heat/humidity in.

How large is the tortoise? Once mine were a year old, i stopped soaking them. Prior to that i soaked my hatchlings every couple days. They have access to water and know when they need it. Most of us use ceramic plant saucers for watering dishes. The torti can easily walk in/out. Change it daily.View attachment 223844

IMG_1511915289.549913.jpgi know that the cage is WAY to small, but it’s all I can afford at the moment, I am saving up for a better enclosure

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
The tortoise looks dry. I would recommend a humidifier or deeper substrate that is moist.

The compact fluorescents are notoriously problematic. I’d ditch it and rely only on your tube. I’d also recommend ceramic heat emitters in a thermostat (zoo med repti temp 500 is affordable) for heating. A hide would also benefit the animal.

Yes, it’s too small.

Listen i understand money is tight but that tort is going to be in trouble without some adjustments that are going to cost you.

Blackberry

Washington
The tortoise looks dry. I would recommend a humidifier or deeper substrate that is moist.

The compact fluorescents are notoriously problematic. I’d ditch it and rely only on your tube. I’d also recommend ceramic heat emitters in a thermostat (zoo med repti temp 500 is affordable) for heating. A hide would also benefit the animal.

Yes, it’s too small.

Listen i understand money is tight but that tort is going to be in trouble without some adjustments that are going to cost you.

Thank you! I’ll do those as soon as possible

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Thank you! I’ll do those as soon as possible

If you are comfortable sending me your address via a PM i can give you a zoo med thermostat i no longer use.

A shower curtain over the screen top and misting a few times daily will help with humidity.

Blackberry

Washington
If you are comfortable sending me your address via a PM i can give you a zoo med thermostat i no longer use.

A shower curtain over the screen top and misting a few times daily will help with humidity.

I’m putting my extra shower curtain on top right now! Thank you so much!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
For a screen top, covering with heavy duty foil works great. With a closed environment you won' need to spray several times a day. Once a day would be plenty. My redfoot is a young adult and I do not force soak. I do keep him in a closed chamber that is humid though, with a large water pan for soaking.

Blackberry

Washington
For a screen top, covering with heavy duty foil works great. With a closed environment you won' need to spray several times a day. Once a day would be plenty. My redfoot is a young adult and I do not force soak. I do keep him in a closed chamber that is humid though, with a large water pan for soaking.

Will a shower curtain or foil melt/ spark? The top of my heat bulb gets hot and I don’t want to cause any problems.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Will a shower curtain or foil melt/ spark? The top of my heat bulb gets hot and I don’t want to cause any problems.
The foil will be fine. That' why we cover things with it in the oven. Cover the screen top entirely. You can just cut out holes for the lights.

She does need a larger, warmer, more humid enclosure. She does not look great.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You can get 55 gallon bins at places like Home Depot for not much money at all. For now you can cover the screen with stuff called reflect X. Here’s what I did for one of my enclosures.
IMG_3880.jpgIMG_3881.jpg