Tortoise having hard time walking..

Hurang

Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale
hello all, my 30 year old desert tortoise has been having a hard time walking the last couple days. I'm trying fo get him into a vet but wanted to ask on here as well. Nothing has changed about his diet or surroundings and there aren't any visible injuries on his legs. It mainly seems to be his back right peg, he gets up walks fine with his feom legs then his leg almost like his leg gives out from under him, or he's dragging it a bit? It seems to get better throughout the day, to where he's walking almost completely normally. We just inherited him from a family member several months ago, but we believe his dietary and other needs were being neglected. He's about 30 y.o. desert tortoise, maybe 20 or 25 lbs. I'm happy to answer any questions, thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hello all, my 30 year old desert tortoise has been having a hard time walking the last couple days. I'm trying fo get him into a vet but wanted to ask on here as well. Nothing has changed about his diet or surroundings and there aren't any visible injuries on his legs. It mainly seems to be his back right peg, he gets up walks fine with his feom legs then his leg almost like his leg gives out from under him, or he's dragging it a bit? It seems to get better throughout the day, to where he's walking almost completely normally. We just inherited him from a family member several months ago, but we believe his dietary and other needs were being neglected. He's about 30 y.o. desert tortoise, maybe 20 or 25 lbs. I'm happy to answer any questions, thank you!
This can sometimes happen due to constipation. Is he pooping regularly? Do you soak him often? They really like it when you flood the lawn and make puddles in the grass. Do you feed them cactus pads?

If this isn't the issue, then the other common problem with DTs is bladder stones. This happens over time with chronic dehydration. People think that since they come from a desert, they don't need water or soaking, and some people think they get all their water from their food. An x-ray will confirm or deny this issue and also show you if there is a blockage elsewhere, or not. Don't let the vet give your tortoise any "vitamin injections". They all seem to want to do this and its unnecessary and potentially harmful.

Hurang

Palmdale
Yeah he gets soaked 3 or so times a week, and I find poops in his hide 3 or 4 times a week, usually normal poops not diarrhea or anything, and thanks for the quick reply