PyroLou

Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk
I was wondering how people felt about these hats:

article-2318387-19957B5C000005DC-506_634x436.jpg
article-2318387-19957BC8000005DC-220_634x497.jpg
tortoise-knitwear-_2741507k.jpg
article-2510555-1988418600000578-804_634x444.jpg

They are created by Katie Bradley who sells them from an Etsy shop.

I think we can all agree they are adorable and cute but I have a few concerns.
Firstly, overheating.
Secondly, I can't imagine that it'd be good for them if they decided to have a nibble.
Thirdly, It prevents them getting the UV light they need
And finally, it might be scary! If they feel threatened by it they can't run away from it!

My (non-tortoisey) friends think they're awesome and I'm being a boring killjoy.

Am I?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Very cute for pictures... wouldn't dream of putting one on my tort who looks just gorgeous in his own shell. In any case, it would get grubby very quickly as it was pulled through evry plant, water feature and bit of substrate in the enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Katie is a member here, a friend, and an awesome person.

I have absolutely no use for cutsie tortoise clothes, but if used with supervision, I can't see how they could do any harm.

Overheating? How? Tortoises are ectotherms. If anything these things would block the sun and slow down the tortoises warming up process. Not a big deal on a warm sunny day. These would offer some mild insulation which would simply resist temperature change in either direction.

So, not my cup of tea, but harmless fun. If this sort of thing endears people to their tortoises more and gets people thinking about their tortoises more and how to better care for them, then I'm all for it.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I was wondering how people felt about these hats:

article-2318387-19957B5C000005DC-506_634x436.jpg
article-2318387-19957BC8000005DC-220_634x497.jpg
tortoise-knitwear-_2741507k.jpg
article-2510555-1988418600000578-804_634x444.jpg

Fistly, a very warm welcome to the furum.

The pics are adorable, but I agree with what you mentioned, therefore I'd NEVER do this with my tortoise: better be safe than sorry.'
They are created by Katie Bradley who sells them from an Etsy shop.

I think we can all agree they are adorable and cute but I have a few concerns.
Firstly, overheating.
Secondly, I can't imagine that it'd be good for them if they decided to have a nibble.
Thirdly, It prevents them getting the UV light they need
And finally, it might be scary! If they feel threatened by it they can't run away from it!

My (non-tortoisey) friends think they're awesome and I'm being a boring killjoy.

Am I?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Did you receive the alert I just sent as far as hats are concerned?

Appreciate an answer. Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Did you receive the alert I just sent as far as hats are concerned?

Appreciate an answer. Thank you.

No alert came through. Looks like you tried to reply to the original post here, but no text from you showed up.

PyroLou

Suffolk
Overheating? How? Tortoises are ectotherms. If anything these things would block the sun and slow down the tortoises warming up process. Not a big deal on a warm sunny day. These would offer some mild insulation which would simply resist temperature change in either direction.

That's a really interesting point. I was really tempted when I saw them but then the 'boring' side of my brain kicked in and started asking questions! I'm confident mine would try and eat one, she attacked a tea towel yesterday :rolleyes:

PyroLou

Suffolk
I'm going to get one for a Christmas photo shoot I think, the Santa hat one.

:D

Yes! This is the reason I'd want one! I'd spend £ or ££ (dont know how much they cost) on a hat Id put on her for a total of 10 mins to do one photo shoot then I'd need another one. She's expensive enough already without having her own wardrobe!!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I got a quote alert but as tom said, no text from you
Thanks your reply.

I sent an alert saying:

The pics are lovely, cute...you name it. But I would NEVER have enough courage to do so with my tort: better be safe than sorry.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If I had found these when my leopard was little, I would have gotten one. He was always so hard to find when I had him outside. Just look away for a split second and he would blend right in. Supervised with them, I see no harm or for photos. Otherwise I am not one to dress up or paint my animals.

Bernadette'sMom

Van Buren, AR
I think they are adorable! I too am thinking that I need to get one for Christmas and certain holidays. I saw a bunny one that I thought was adorable. I at first thought of just cute but then thought it would be good to be able to keep up with my tort if she is out in the yard. Ken love the balloon!

PyroLou

Suffolk
I can definitely see the benefit of them making tortoises easier to see although I have to say I think Ken's balloon idea is genius!!

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I can definitely see the benefit of them making tortoises easier to see although I have to say I think Ken's balloon idea is genius!!
If I put a balloon on spud I think he'd fly...
I've seen people actually make their torts hover over the floor with balloons... Can't be good for the tort must be very stressful.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Ken's idea would not work in any of my enclosures. I have bushes, trees, and tall plants that the balloon string would get caught in.