Tortoise has softish growth on his right side near the back of his jaw. What could it be?

C_P808

5 Year Member
A vet is going to take a look at it, but till then, I wanted to try gather more info on what it could be. My Sulcata has had it for a few months, and we hoped it was a sting or liquid filled abscess that would go away on its own. But it seems to have gotten bigger, so we scheduled a vet appointment. It doesn't seem to bother him and hasn't affected his eating or sleeping. Doesn't bother him when we touch it either. It's fairly soft, like touching a ripe grape. I've attached a picture.

IMG_20210221_103516.jpg

Last edited:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Looks like an abscess to me, but I am no expert, however, I will call one, she's probably napping and won't answer to me...lol
But she'll get ya, in the meantime all kinds of other people will respond
@Yvonne G

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Can you post a few more pics of the whole tort. How old is he? How big?
It the lump hard? Does it move around like a ball inside a bag or feel like its attached on one side? How long has he had and and has it grown?
He looks skinny too me. More pics would help.

zovick

10 Year Member!
A vet is going to take a look at it, but till then, I wanted to try gather more info on what it could be. My Sulcata has had it for a few months, and we hoped it was a sting or liquid filled abscess that would go away on its own. But it seems to have gotten bigger, so we scheduled a vet appointment. It doesn't seem to bother him and hasn't affected his eating or sleeping. Doesn't bother him when we touch it either. It's fairly soft, like touching a ripe grape. I've attached a picture.
Looks like an abscess, a blocked salivary gland, or possibly a salivary gland tumor. It could also be a bot fly larva under the skin. None of these are overly serious, and your vet should be able to help you without too much trouble.

C_P808

5 Year Member
Can you post a few more pics of the whole tort. How old is he? How big?
It the lump hard? Does it move around like a ball inside a bag or feel like its attached on one side? How long has he had and and has it grown?
He looks skinny too me. More pics would help.
He's around 8 or 9 years old, not 100% sure on his age. Around 100-120lb. Has had the growth for going on 8 months. It just appeared out of nowhere one day and stayed the size of small grape for awhile. Only recently has it looked like it's gotten a little bigger. The growth is soft, and feels pretty stationary, like I can't push it around or anything. I included a few more pictures.

IMG_20210221_112837.jpgIMG_20210221_112912.jpgIMG_20210221_112942.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Likely a tumor then if it started a while ago and has grown. It likely will need to be removed/surgery or it will get bigger.

C_P808

5 Year Member
Likely a tumor then if it started a while ago and has grown. It likely will need to be removed/surgery or it will get bigger.
Can a tumor appear overnight? We just woke up one day and it was there. And just remained that same size for months. I hope it's not a tumor, but will prepare myself for that possibility.

C_P808

5 Year Member
Believe what Yvonne just told you. Don't worry and get all anxious about speculation. He's look real good btw. Y says cyst I say abscess. Where do you live?
Hawaii. So he lives outside full time. He has dug out a small tunnel in our back yard that he sleeps in at night/takes shelter in during the rainy days.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Seeing neither one of us is there to feel it, it doesn't really matter what our guesses are. It still needs to go too a vet and something will have to be done to it. So keep the appointment you have.
I would have no idea what either procedure would cost. One will he cheaper then the other so hopefully Yvonne is correct as that's the cheaper one. However going on for 8 months, prepare for the other one.