Tortoise hands and legs can't move

Wanda26

Location (City and/or State)
HKG
Really appreciate for so many professional useful advice and very nice kind hearted tortoise lover here.

In the past few days, I am doing the followings, and it seems there are some improvements for Alex and I have some Queries as well:

What have been doing from the morning:

1. I put him into warm water and let him drink for a while, then I mixed the medicine in the Tetra Stick and fed him, he likes the food and I don't need to mixed cooked fish and shrimp to seduce him to open his mouth, he starts eating the Tetra Stick on its own from 2 days ago.

2. I fed him 3 times a day, around 10 stick in the morning with the folic acid, once in the afternoon, around 8 sticks, evening, I put 6 sticks.

3. In the after or evening, I mash the celery and give him a warm Vegetable Bath, it seems he drinks the water and like to put his head under the bath and open his eyes, does this means he likes it? even I am not sure if this bath helps.

4. I take him under the sun as much as I can, in Southern China, not too much sun for the moment, and put him under the UVB/UVA light form around 2 hours after the Sun bath.

5. He's in the warm water during the time he's been fed and been put into the vegetable bath. These add up to around 60% of the time when he's awake.

6. I massage his hands and legs twice or 3 times a day and I am not sure if he like that, he closes his eyes While I am doing that, I am not sure it's painful for him or fine for him.

7. I took him out of the water when I sleep, and put him onto his soft bed, for around 7 hours.

Please let me know if there's any improvement needed.

His Hands and legs can't move at all and now they can slightly move a bit but still can't support his body, though I can see how hard he tries and how eager he is to move..."(

My Queries is:

1. Why he always look so hungry, Since he has his liver and kidney problems and I dare not to feed him too much, even just eating Tetra sticks. Shall I feed more Tetra sticks? and should I still give him little cooked fish and shrimp?

2. The medicine from the doctor: folic Acid - is for animal, I feed Alex this
But for the other two Medicines, which the VET asks me to buy on my own - Caco3, and Allopurinol Tablets, which is for human beings, I put these Tables into water, and they are not melting at all, I reluctant to give Alex these two, if they are designed for human's digest system, Maybe it's not perfect for Tortoise? at least they can't be melting into water. What do you think of these two? Thank you

Rianne

The Villages, Florida
Really appreciate for so many professional useful advice and very nice kind hearted tortoise lover here.

In the past few days, I am doing the followings, and it seems there are some improvements for Alex and I have some Queries as well:

1. I put him into warm water and let him drink for a while, then I mixed the medicine in the Tetra Stick and fed him, he likes the food and I don't need to mixed cooked fish and shrimp to seduce him to open his mouth, he starts eating the Tetra Stick on its own from 2 days ago.

2. I fed him 3 times a day, around 10 stick in the morning with the folic acid, once in the afternoon, around 8 sticks, evening, I put 6 sticks.

3. In the after or evening, I mash the celery and give him a warm Vegetable Bath, it seems he drinks the water and like to put his head under the bath and open his eyes, does this means he likes it? even I am not sure if this bath helps.

4. I take him under the sun as much as I can, in Southern China, not too much sun for the moment, and put him under the UVB/UVA light form around 2 hours after the Sun bath.

5. He's in the warm water during the time he's been fed and been put into the vegetable bath. These add up to around 60% of the time when he's awake.

6. I massage his hands and legs twice or 3 times a day and I am not sure if he like that, he closes his eyes While I am doing that, I am not sure it's painful for him or fine for him.

7. I took him out of the water when I sleep, and put him onto his soft bed, for around 7 hours.

His Hands and legs can't move at all and now they can slightly move a bit but still can't support his body, though I can see how hard he tries and how eager he is to move..."(

My Queries is:

1. Why he always look so hungry, Since he has his liver and kidney problems and I dare not to feed him too much, even just eating Tetra sticks. Shall I feed more Tetra sticks? and should I still give him little cooked fish and shrimp?

But for the other two Medicines, which the VET asks me to buy on my own - Caco3, and Allopurinol Tablets, which is for human beings, I put these Tables into water, and they are not melting at all, I reluctant to give Alex these two, if they are designed for human's digest system, Maybe it's not perfect for Tortoise? at least they can't be melting into water. What do you think of these two? Thank you

Rianne

The Villages, Florida
Crush the pills and mix with food or a tiny treat. Allopurinol is the only drug that can dissolve urea stones/crystals. It is your only hope for full recovery. You sound like a wonderful caretaker. Best Wishes on a complete recovery.

Wanda26

HKG
Crush the pills and mix with food or a tiny treat. Allopurinol is the only drug that can dissolve urea stones/crystals. It is your only hope for full recovery. You sound like a wonderful caretaker. Best Wishes on a complete recovery.

Thank you, Rianne.

jeneliza

burton michigan
I wish I could offer more than prayers, but I don't keep turtles, and don't know much about over all care, I am praying for your little guy,

Sa Ga

MN

My Queries is:

Meat is an absolute no! (And as little protein as possible!) Compromised kidneys cannot handle much protein.

The CaC03 is just calcium carbonate. You can even get reptile calcium supplement powder and sprinkle lightly on his food so he gets some. I don't know how well or safe human formulations would work for torts, bit I would stick to the tortoise calcium (w/o phosphorus and w/ D3).

I would try to use the allopurinol, but i would try talking to a pharmacist to get an idea of at least human dosing (like for instance 10 mg per kg), and then I'd go back to the vet and ask about that dosing. He/she should have given you a dose to follow as it is. As far as it dissolving (or not) in the water, it may be better if it isn't full dose. Did the vet tell you to do it this way?

If he seems hungry, let him eat more. I don't know how much you fed him before, but this is a different food anyway. Try to give him more and see what point he wants to stop. Unless it's a ridiculous amount, let him help determine the amount. Continue to give him multiple meals and just watch to see he's satisfied without being stuffed! Starving him would not be a good idea especially now.

I think it's GREAT that you are doing all the warm soaks and multiple meals. This does help him keep hydrated and give his system nourishment in increments. When he puts his head under, he is probably drinking during those times too so this is a good thing--as long as you supervise to make sure he can easily keep his head above water.

I've read that some stimulation can cause torts to close their eyes in stress rather than relaxation, but there are definitely times that they close them in pleasure. I can't say which it is for him, but as long as you ate being gentle and careful with his joints, I tend to think that since he cannot move himself, the circulation is actually really important.

Keep up the great work! Continue to keep him warm at all times, give him multiple baths/keep him hydrated (it helps him flush built up uric acid--watch his pee...the white stuff you see is the uric waste. The more liquid/soft/less there is, the better. If it gets hard or chalky or a lot of it, it means he's getting dehydrated.).

Check w/ a pharmacist and your vet for proper allopurinol dosing, and keep his protein as low as possible--no more meat if possible. Also, make sure he's getting a mix of veggies, and don't give him anything you're not positive us safe. An injured liver and kidneys makes processing toxins all the more difficult!

Best and deepest wishes for a full recovery!!! Bless you for your dedication, and please keep us posted! ❤❤❤❤

jeneliza

burton michigan
Remember reptile recovery comes so slow, and if he's moving, when he couldn't at all, this is so important, and he's will to continue is really really good, news, it shows he's moving forward, and slowly getting better, it takes along time, he's getting there slowly, this could take months to get better, so stay strong, and know we are here for you, and all pulling for your own guy,