Tortoise handling/feeding

Location (City and/or State)
LEBANON
Hi!

I recently acquired a Russian tort from a friend of mine. I've had a lot of experience with animals but never owned a reptile, let alone a tortoise, so of course I did ample research before taking responsibility for him. One of the things I kept hearing over and over was to handle them as little as possible, which of course I have been doing. But sometimes Shelldon has other ideas... I let him roam around the room when he seems active, while I do my online classes. I always lay on the floor. He'll often come up to me and climb all over my legs, chill on my lap, lay on my hand, or park himself between me and my laptop when I'm laying on my stomach. Once he went to sleep on top of my arm. Is this normal? Is this the tortoise form of... cuddling? Is it okay to allow him to do this? Other people seem to have very different experiences, lol.

Also, as I've been hand feeding him sometimes, he's started thinking that my hand itself is food. He'll occasionally boop my hand with his nose and then try to eat my fingers. Is there a way to teach him that it is the things that come from my hands that are food, not my fingers, without making him scared of my hands? Thus far I've been keeping close enough attention that it hasn't been a problem (honestly he's so slow and awkward about it it's hilarious) but if he ever sneaks up on me I don't want to startle us both!

Lastly, the friend who had him before me didn't know much about caring for torts, and she mostly just fed him carrots. So when I got him his poop was runny and orange. I've since transitioned him to a spring green mix, with other vegetables here and there, and he has fresh oat grass growing in his enclosure and Timothy Hay that he'll only eat if I disguise it. He has cuttlebone in there as well, which he appears to have started picking at though I've never actually seen him do it. He's spent about three weeks on this new diet. His poop is no longer orange (huzzah!) and is less runny (huzzah!) but is definitely not how it's supposed to be. I plan to take him to the vet to get a general check-up eventually, but what with the current pandemic I'm not sure when that will be. Is there anything else I should be doing to help get him healthier, keeping in mind the current limited resources?

Oh, this is really the last thing. I read that people have taught their tortoises to make associations (like tapping on the side of the tank to signify feeding time) and also that they don't really like to be picked up. What I've started doing is lightly doing two taps on the middle of his shell right before I pick him up, so he associates those two things and isn't as startled when I move him. I don't want him to feel scared that my food-hands are ripping him off his basking rock to get in the bath and such. It appears that this is helping, but he also just may be getting more comfortable with me and with being moved in general. Correlation doesn't equal causation, after all... Does anyone have thoughts on this? Should I even bother?

Thank you so much!

Pfab

Minnesota
Hi!

I recently acquired a Russian tort from a friend of mine. I've had a lot of experience with animals but never owned a reptile, let alone a tortoise, so of course I did ample research before taking responsibility for him. One of the things I kept hearing over and over was to handle them as little as possible, which of course I have been doing. But sometimes Shelldon has other ideas... I let him roam around the room when he seems active, while I do my online classes. I always lay on the floor. He'll often come up to me and climb all over my legs, chill on my lap, lay on my hand, or park himself between me and my laptop when I'm laying on my stomach. Once he went to sleep on top of my arm. Is this normal? Is this the tortoise form of... cuddling? Is it okay to allow him to do this? Other people seem to have very different experiences, lol.

Also, as I've been hand feeding him sometimes, he's started thinking that my hand itself is food. He'll occasionally boop my hand with his nose and then try to eat my fingers. Is there a way to teach him that it is the things that come from my hands that are food, not my fingers, without making him scared of my hands? Thus far I've been keeping close enough attention that it hasn't been a problem (honestly he's so slow and awkward about it it's hilarious) but if he ever sneaks up on me I don't want to startle us both!

Lastly, the friend who had him before me didn't know much about caring for torts, and she mostly just fed him carrots. So when I got him his poop was runny and orange. I've since transitioned him to a spring green mix, with other vegetables here and there, and he has fresh oat grass growing in his enclosure and Timothy Hay that he'll only eat if I disguise it. He has cuttlebone in there as well, which he appears to have started picking at though I've never actually seen him do it. He's spent about three weeks on this new diet. His poop is no longer orange (huzzah!) and is less runny (huzzah!) but is definitely not how it's supposed to be. I plan to take him to the vet to get a general check-up eventually, but what with the current pandemic I'm not sure when that will be. Is there anything else I should be doing to help get him healthier, keeping in mind the current limited resources?

Oh, this is really the last thing. I read that people have taught their tortoises to make associations (like tapping on the side of the tank to signify feeding time) and also that they don't really like to be picked up. What I've started doing is lightly doing two taps on the middle of his shell right before I pick him up, so he associates those two things and isn't as startled when I move him. I don't want him to feel scared that my food-hands are ripping him off his basking rock to get in the bath and such. It appears that this is helping, but he also just may be getting more comfortable with me and with being moved in general. Correlation doesn't equal causation, after all... Does anyone have thoughts on this? Should I even bother?

Thank you so much!

Pfab

Minnesota
First let me say I’m a new tortoise owner and have committed every beginner mistake that there is and I am trying to correct them.
It sounds like Sheldon knows what he likes and he likes you or at least your body temperature. If he wants to be by you why can’t he be?

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
First let me say I’m a new tortoise owner and have committed every beginner mistake that there is and I am trying to correct them.
It sounds like Sheldon knows what he likes and he likes you or at least your body temperature. If he wants to be by you why can’t he be?
As I said I believe tortoises do not show affection. They may like “your body temperature” but it’s not as he/she understands affection. Probably in a few thousand years.

Pfab

Minnesota
As I said I believe tortoises do not show affection. They may like “your body temperature” but it’s not as he/she understands affection. Probably in a few thousand years.
So is it wrong to let the tortoise hang out with him if that’s what the tortoise wants to do? He was concerned about that, actually I believe he had lots of good questions and the only part you chose to respond to was the affection statement. Unfortunately that really doesn’t help us newbies out. I came upon his post looking for answers on the proper care of a Russian Tortoise - that I purchased from the wrong place, don’t have the best enclosure but I do believe I am feeding correctly. I wish and maybe you still can address some of his other concerns as you seem to have a lot of tortoise knowledge. I know I would find that very helpful and I’m sure the original post er would also appreciate it

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
No, no it’s not wrong in the contrary it’s Great that you hang out with your Tortoise.
I also Apologize for not answering the other questions.
@Pfab
You should be feeding your Russian Weeds try going to your yard and look for weeds you can post them here and members will tell you if it’s safe or not , you can also feed a variety of Grocery food vegetables. That consist of the following
spring mix
collards
mustards
There’s other stuff but I can’t remember the names. I’ll link are care sheet for a Russian here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi!

Thank you so much!
Hello and welcome. Great first post and great questions.

1. They should never be out loose on the floor. They need the correct temperatures and humidity that is found inter enclosure. Letting them loose in areas where humans live their lives usually results in a dead, sick or injured tortoise. We see it here ALLLLLL the time. It can't be made safe, and you can't supervise enough to prevent a catastrophe. The reason he comes to you is threefold. You are warm and he's cold down on the floor with no heat source, he has a positive association with you as a result of the hand feeding, and finally, they are naturally curious, engaging and inquisitive creatures. That is one of the reason we all like them so much here.
2. Hand feeding is fine, and no there is no way to teach them that you aren't food. Its just a function of how tortoise brains work. Even if you stop hadnfeeding forever, he still might come up and try to bite you. Sometimes this is territorial, or a breeding thing, and not just food association.
3. Russian are not grass eaters. I would bother trying to feed him grass unless you are doing it to add fiber to the grocery store greens. I wouldn't use grass hay with a Russian at all, again, unless you are soaking fine particles of it to mix in with grocery store greens to add fiber. Broadleaf weeds, leaves, flowers and succulent of the right types are what you should be feeding. Use grocery store foods if you can't find suitable better foods, but add in the amendments to make the grocery store greens better for your tortoise. Read the diet section in the care sheet for more info.
4. I don't think you need to bother with the shell tapping stuff. They just get used to whatever it is you do one way or another. One the other hand, doing it the way you've described shouldn't do any harm either.

Great job on the rescue. Lucky tortoise! Your questions and conversation are welcome.

L

LasTortugasNinja

@Tom is totally right. Reptiles don't have the brain development to show affection or a desire for a social connection. Even "smart" reptiles like monitor lizards. Usually the neck nuzzles are because the neck of humans is full of hot blood, and reptiles sense the warmth. That being said, anyone who wants to believe their favorite reptile wuvz them and thinks they are mommy or daddy, I'm not gonna show up at your door and hamstring you, so believe whatever helps you care for your reptile.

I've never been a fan of hand-feeding reptiles. There is no benefit, and a bit human often leads to stitches and a rehomed reptile. Use tongs instead of fingers if you must control the feedings. Honestly, putting the food in the enclosure is the best scenario. Let the tort eat in peace.

For the tapping, remember that torts feel through their shells, and tapping could trigger instincts of fear from being bit or clawed by a predator. If he can see you, there is no reason to tap. If he's buried and needs to come out for a bath, pet the shell gently. Condition him to associate petting with you. I pet my tort during his bath and any handling time, so he knows the feeling means human interaction. Not during feeding tho. Petting adds a little stress, and I don't want to put him off eating.

Since petting, he's less likely to pull himself into his shell when picked up. Now, while petting his shell, he looks around and actually seems curious about being carried.

Petting before contact works with lots of reptiles. I've used it for monitors (using a snake hook to do the petting. Monitor bites hurt like hell!), snakes, and all sorts of other reps.

Pfab

Minnesota
No, no it’s not wrong in the contrary it’s Great that you hang out with your Tortoise.
I also Apologize for not answering the other questions.
@Pfab
You should be feeding your Russian Weeds try going to your yard and look for weeds you can post them here and members will tell you if it’s safe or not , you can also feed a variety of Grocery food vegetables. That consist of the following
spring mix
collards
mustards
There’s other stuff but I can’t remember the names. I’ll link are care sheet for a Russian here.

Thank you for replying.