Tortoise Haiku?

TisMary

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Thought it might be fun to try our virtual hands on some haikus about tortoises! I'm no haiku expert. They do appeal to me though because of their brevity and because of the attempt to capture a "haiku moment" which author Paul Janeczko (How to Write Haiku and other Short Poems) describes this way:

"when you are so struck by a scene – like snow covering apple trees – or an event – such as hearing a flock of geese – that you can’t help but want to share it with someone. The haiku moment has a “whoa!” quality to it. ... Whoa! If someone were with you, you might have said, “Did you see that?!” The haiku moment happens quickly. That’s why it’s not called the “haiku hour.” It’s a moment. We need to pay attention or we will miss such moments.”​

Don't know about you, but watching my tortoise gives me an ample supply of haiku moments! ?

As for the other guidelines about haiku, these poems are generally
  • three lines long with a
  • syllable count in these 3 lines is 5-7-5 (or thereabouts!)
  • if you can somehow work is a reference to the season or time of year - bonus points!
  • and of course, your haiku moment
I'll start it off. Jump in - the water's fine ?

Back foot set - warm dirt.
Three feet push in harmony,
The tortoise pivots

1635087840361.jpeg

TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
Clouds grey smite the earth,
tears sate the hibiscus new
I bathe in safeties view
20211016_172555.jpg
(This was hard, feels very dramatic for a tort minding its own business, but it was fun to write it???)