Tortoise found, What species of tortoise is this?

iceysea

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hello!

I'm a new tortoise owner, but I cannot figure out what species he/she is (my family is assuming female after doing some research but we can't be sure). My parents found a small tortoise outside while walking the dog two days ago and we are assuming she is an Egyptian tortoise. She's pretty active and we plan to keep her (we love her so much!) but we would greatly appreciate some help in identifying her species. We also made an appointment with an exotic vet but she won't get a check up until October 7th, so until then I'm trying to research all I can about tortoises. (Note: Her glass tank is only temporary until I can build her a tortoise table)

Thank you and I appreciate any help I can get!

IMG_20190923_164502_520.jpg IMG952553.jpg IMG957173.jpg received_432916437346970.jpg received_688221711678319.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You have a box turtle, not a tortoise.

You need some different substrate ASAP as the type you are using can't get wet, and its also an impaction risk. Fine grade orchid bark works well for them instead.

The ramped water bowl is also a huge tipping/drowning hazard. I'd replace that with a terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate ASAP.

Box turtles like water, so a large shallow water bowl is a must. Something twice their diameter works well, but shallow. They also like it warm and humid. Damp substrate will help to raise your humidity up.

Last thing is, they are omnivores. They like insects, earthworms and even some dog or cat food mixed in with their veggies.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That is a three toed box turtle and they are native to your area. You really should release it close to where you found it. There are captive bred ones you can purchase if you want to keep one as a pet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Before you get too attached, please try to find the turtle's owner. That's a beautiful specimen of Terrapene carolina triunguis (three toe box turtle), and someone has been taking very good care of it. They're probably heart broken to have lost it. And if you can't find her owner, then chances are pretty good that it's wild, like Todd said. It's never a good idea to take turtles or tortoises from the wild. It diminishes the gene pool.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It's absolutely beautiful. All the best with whatever you decide to do with it. In the end, it's the turtle's best interests, and the survival of the species, that count!

iceysea

Texas
Thank you so much for all your responses! We loved having her, but maybe it would be best to let her go in the nearby state park as she is most likely a wild box turtle. We will miss her, but we much rather that she is happy and safe. At least in the state park she will be safe from cars.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thank you so much for all your responses! We loved having her, but maybe it would be best to let her go in the nearby state park as she is most likely a wild box turtle. We will miss her, but we much rather that she is happy and safe. At least in the state park she will be safe from cars.
Great! Now maybe it's time to start thinking about adopting........!!?? Or getting a nice little replacement from a reputable breeder!:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know how true this is, but I believe it - turtles and tortoises removed from their territory and released elsewhere will spend the rest of their lives trying to get back to their original territory.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I don't know how true this is, but I believe it - turtles and tortoises removed from their territory and released elsewhere will spend the rest of their lives trying to get back to their original territory.
Yes, I also heard this, and in reference to other animals. We know about horses, dog, cats etc. but why not reptiles? I was told that Jamaican boas will do this, and it puts them in danger as they travel in unfamiliar territory trying to get back home! I suppose that is why they must be released soon, and as close to where they were found as possible if not in the exact spot.

Turdleelewis

New york
She looks an awful lot like my gulf coast box turtle , that tortoise town sold me as an eastern box turtle. Check out my post , I have pictures up