Tortoise Forum on Reddit

Jenna Ryanne

Location (City and/or State)
Hanford, California
Hi guys! I am fairly new to this community, but I am already amazed by the wealth of knowledge and support that Tortoise Forum supplies, especially for new tortoise owners. I recently joined r/tortoise a sub on Reddit and was curious if anyone on this site was also a member there. Unfortunately, it seems like there is a lot of bad advice being given in that subreddit by people who have no experience taking care of a tortoise. I thought I would see if there are any Reddit users on Tortoise Forum who are interested in joining r/tortoise to help share their knowledge to that community as well. Or even see if some of the moderators of this site have considered setting up a Tortoise Forum sub on Reddit? (For the record, I am not a moderator on r/tortoise or affiliated with it in any way. Just love Reddit and think it would be cool to have more tortoise forum members sharing their knowledge on that platform?)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome. I believe we have a few members over there. They have tried to change the attitudes of wrong husbandry over there and just get beat up. Most if not all of us always try to spread the correct ways of raising a tortoise. It's only on this forum that the correct info can be found. We try to always get people to at least come here and read our threads. I suppose some do and change their ways and then some do and still won't change their ways.
Most of us always do try.
Now, you too can help spread the word over there.

Jenna Ryanne

Hanford, California
Welcome. I believe we have a few members over there. They have tried to change the attitudes of wrong husbandry over there and just get beat up. Most if not all of us always try to spread the correct ways of raising a tortoise. It's only on this forum that the correct info can be found. We try to always get people to at least come here and read our threads. I suppose some do and change their ways and then some do and still won't change their ways.
Most of us always do try.
Now, you too can help spread the word over there.
Got it. Will definitely continue to recommend this site whenever I can! If you guys ever make a Tortoise Forum Reddit sub I will be sure to join there as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't participate in any of those social media sites. I just now went to your reddit site and I wasn't impressed. Plus, there was a lot of spam.

MyaFitzgerald9

Gibsonia
I actually came here to see if anyone had commented on the issues with Reddit. I am extremely distraught over the abuse I am seeing there. The conditions these tortoises are kept in, the pure lack of knowledge, and the horrible stories I read over there is truly breaking my heart. I have spent HOURS relaying information from tortoise forum and attaching links. The only reason I joined was to see adorable pictures of tortoises and it seems that they do not exist. The moderators also don't do anything to stop the spread of misinformation or bad advice. I want to delete the app and give up, but it kills me to think about how many tortoises will continue to get abused and neglected. I could go on and on....

Freddy90

Austria
I was on reddit but not in r/tortoise but I visited r/turtle and r/turtles. It's sad what kind of posts pop up there.. so many people keeping there turtles in 2 inches of water and way too small tanks. Its filled with neglected pet posts. I tried to help and give info in very very polite ways but they won't listen. Like in r/tortoise the mods are basically non existent. I couldn't handle the posts anymore because it really hurts seeing that neglect. So I left for a while.
I still sometimes now log in again and try offering advice and links but it is mostly ignored...
But hey maybe it helps one turtle out of 10000000 if we keep offering advice :)

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Looks like one more place to go for bad information and dogpiling those who would try to help... no thanks.

{that's my personal opinion, nothing to do with my helping out as a mod on TFO}

Jamie

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Smart people, by nature will instantly spot and recoil from that type of behavior. I have been a member of easily 3 doz forums, mostly centered on older vintage motorcycles, but Expedition forums, boats, PCP pellets guns, sports. Google my name with anything associated with it, it'll likely come up.....good thing I don't do bad stuff!

To me, it's the behavior on a forum that sets the scene for the bad info to be given out, usually by a self-appointed expert. I've seen the same thing, different subject(s). The only info "allowed" is that deemed "approved" by the click made up of the "expert" and their followers who crave acceptance. We've all seen it play out that way.

This forum, as I've pointed out to many newbies, is just very different. Adults w/ real talent are in the room for a very, VERY refreshing change!