Tortoise Forum FaceBook Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
I've just been taking a look at this group and some of you seriously need to work on your Privacy Settings... you are sharing far too much information with the world for your own good.

By day I work in IT support and I'm a CEOP Ambassador. I spend a lot of time working in schools with young people and the adults who work with them, showing them how to stay safe online.

This Suggested Facebook Privacy Settings Guide is an easy to follow step-by-step document that will help you to get them right. It's updated regularly to keep up with the ever changing settings.

Idusa

5 Year Member
I've applied to your group....Beeing a student I finde pleanty of time for FB'ing ;-) Don't tell anyone :)

Zik

10 Year Member!
Philippines
All requests confirmed. 80 members and counting, join up. :)

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Darn it you shouldn't have let me know about this... I'm supposed to be writing a 6 page paper right now and now that I know there's a FB page? Way to go :p

Zik

10 Year Member!
Philippines
futureleopardtortoise said:
Darn it you shouldn't have let me know about this... I'm supposed to be writing a 6 page paper right now and now that I know there's a FB page? Way to go :p

Haha, sorry about that buddy. :p

101 members, lookin' good! Join up guys. :)

Matilda's Mom

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Just 'liked' the fan page and joined the group. I'm a new tortoise owner and am thrilled that there are so many well informed, enthusiastic tortoise lovers around! I'm so pleased to have found this forum!

rosebice

5 Year Member
I love this idea, I belong to a mobile grooming group and it's great!

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Just by briefly looking at it, it doesn't seem like all the people on their actually use our forum. So,e yes, but some may have stumbled upon it some other way.To me it also doesn't really hold up to the tortoise forum standards. The first thing I saw was a giant sulcata in a tank, and a badly pyramided radiated. I also didn't see any references to the forum itself besides the cover photo. It should have posts encouraging people to join, recommendations, etc.. It doesn't represent what tfo stands for.

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1369369325.372506.jpgImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1369369335.476317.jpg

These are the first pics that pop up, and all the comments are ' how beautiful' etc...it should really be a private group for tfo members only.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zik

10 Year Member!
Philippines
It's a Facebook group page for Tortoise Forum members, topics can be anything under the sun. It's a place where people can have fun and chill, post their turtles and tortoises photos for them and others to appreciate. Even if it is possible to put categories/sections/sub-sections in that FB group, it wouldn't happen. Because that would defeat the purpose of having the TF Forum.

In more than a week from now, that FB page will turn 1 year old already. Majority of the people there enjoy their daily visits and I think they go there to relax and simply look at what others have to share that are chelonian-related. It has become a daily routine of some people(including me) to go there, expect and appreciate what others have to share.
Btw, you are not required nor obliged to join that FB group, so if you think that it is not a good place. Then no worries, your opinion will be respected.

God bless,
Zik

theelectraco

5 Year Member
If its a Facebook page for TFO members, then why can anyone join? Why aren't their references to the forum? Why isn't anyone holding the users accountable for improper care instead of saying how cute their deformed ill maintained tortoises look. If you are going to use the Tortoise Forum name, than the page should emulate what the forums stand for. That might as well be called " Tortoise Fan Page" Bcecause that is all it really is. Unfortunately most of the seasoned forum members don't even use Facebook and cannot provide their expertise to the fb page users but I'm pretty sure they would agree with me that that page should be monitored and held to the same standards the forums are.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Professionally, I am unable to partake in The Facebook. My satisfaction is fulfilled in the “pretend chat2" in the off topic chit chat section of TFO proper. Have fun folks and post link-invites to TFO on your local Craigslist.

Zik

10 Year Member!
Philippines
theelectraco said:
Just by briefly looking at it, it doesn't seem like all the people on their actually use our forum. So,e yes, but some may have stumbled upon it some other way.To me it also doesn't really hold up to the tortoise forum standards. The first thing I saw was a giant sulcata in a tank, and a badly pyramided radiated. I also didn't see any references to the forum itself besides the cover photo. It should have posts encouraging people to join, recommendations, etc.. It doesn't represent what tfo stands for.

These are the first pics that pop up, and all the comments are ' how beautiful' etc...it should really be a private group for tfo members only.

I've attached screenshots of those 2 photos that you are referring to. I don't see any comments/statements that are even close to compliments.

Anyway, I honestly don't know what to say. If you want me to shut down or take down the page, ask an Admin/Moderator to tell me then I would do it. Sorry for the inconvenience that I have caused.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 29

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Zik said:
theelectraco said:

For those 2 photos that you've shared with the comments mentioned, I had to check for myself because I can't recall anyone saying 'How beautiful' or anything close to that statement.

Integrity is about telling the truth, telling a story which consists of no fabrications. I am concerned about you and still thinking, why did you have to fabricate statements/comments that wasn't even commented on those photos? Do you hate that page so much? If yes, you are welcome to leave.

And if you believe that you have the values(TFO standards) that you speak of, I will have to disagree. Because if you have the values that TFO stands for, you would've commented suggestions to the person who owns those tortoises so that those tortoises would have a better life in the future.

If you badly want the page down, then ask a Moderator or Admin. I would close the page if a Moderator or an Admin tells me to do so, I would shut it down even if that's a place where some TFO members have fun when they are using FB. I am not hard to talk to if you are a trustworthy person or a decent & sensible person. But you might have a hard time talking to me from now on, bec. I really disliked where you made up and fabricated comments/statements, I don't get it.

I wasn't quoting exact words and was too lazy to go back to that miserable excuse for a group to get the exact wording. Here is the picture I was referring to. ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1369370528.589494.jpg if that's all you have as reasoning to label me ' indecent, insensible, and basically a liar ' then go for it, it's the Internet and not everyone needs to be literal in every word typed. Why is no one comments saying how these tortoises are not being cared for properly? For the third time, where are the tfo references in the TORTOISE FORUM group.? Thanks for the suggestion, I will def forward the page to Josh so he can make his own judgement on it. Your opinion of me is really meaningless, so you can make it whatever you want. If you agree that that page lives up to the tfo name then you obviously don't spend much time posting in the forum, (which you don't) and shouldnt be running the page.

Oh yah it's real "Nice!" That 3 large tortoises live in what looks to be a 6x3 tank, with no hide,water bowls, space, etc... When ransoms are viewing that group and see those images and confirmation from other people that they are 'nice, doing a good job taking car of their pet, or whatever wording it may be' it sends the wrong image to people and that's why there are so many neglected tortoises.

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
This has gotten way out of hand. Zik started the group for fun and he and I both have added everyone and anyone who was interested. Not every member who joins here starts with care up to the standards of our community but most who stick around do - that's what makes TFO great. We don't have time to patrol everything posted on Facebook, nor should we have to.
Getting upset at Zik - who has zero control over others' tortoises - isn't going to help anyone. It's going to discourage the guy who tried to help spread the TFO culture. What we should be doing is posting on the FB group encouraging people to come here and see what we're all about. We have infinitely more to offer than FB and we can show them that!

Status
Not open for further replies.