Tortoise foraging

Srmcclure

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma city
hello! I wanted to try and hide various food items for my tortoise in his enclosure to stimulate his foraging instincts, but wasn't sure if there was a best way to do this.

So far he can be a bit lazy when it comes to food so i was wondering would it be best to not put any food in the dish and only hide on the days I do this to make sure he actually goes looking instead of just be lining it to his dish? Thanks everyone!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. What kind of tortoise and how large of an enclosure do you have. Regardless of where/how you “hide” food, you want to make sure it is getting enough to fill up!

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Its my leopard and hes in a 3ftx6ft closed chamber. I just figured the amount I normal give him in a dish I would place randomly, But easily found just so he get that sense of foraging when he can't be outside. i always place enough food in the tara cotta dish to have some left over at the end of the night and its placed in there in the morning so he can snack all day.
20200622_072826.jpg

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
Greetings. What kind of tortoise and how large of an enclosure do you have. Regardless of where/how you “hide” food, you want to make sure it is getting enough to fill up!
I just want to make it a bit more interesting for hi. ?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I don't have a picture atm but I use one of those chip clips glued to the side of the enclosure that I use to hold greens, or Opuntia. So my tort has to reach up for it rather than eat off the ground.

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I don't have a picture atm but I use one of those chip clips glued to the side of the enclosure that I use to hold greens, or Opuntia. So my tort has to reach up for it rather than eat off the ground.
Ok cool! I have tons of those!! ?