Tortoise for someone new to reptiles

ilikefunstuff

Location (City and/or State)
California
So I'm new to reptiles, and I'm thinking of getting a Leopard Tortoise. I want it because its fairly large, active and cute. My only gripe about it is its shell. I kinda looks like a helmet. Does anyone know turtles similar in size that has a flatter, normal looking shell?

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
So I'm new to reptiles, and I'm thinking of getting a Leopard Tortoise. I want it because its fairly large, active and cute. My only gripe about it is its shell. I kinda looks like a helmet. Does anyone know turtles similar in size that has a flatter, normal looking shell?
I do’nt see how it looks like a helmet but Leopards do tend to pyramid very easily, so I can see how they don’t look as smooth. As far as smooth shelled torts about that same size, I would say maybe a Redfoot? Although if I were you I would be looking at which tort you can take care of the best. All tortoise species have different needs as far as husbandry. An animal like a Redfoot that comes from the wet rainforests in South America and an animal like a Leopard tort which comes from the hot savannas in Africa will need to be cared for very differently. Also really any species of tortoise that is raised in a low humidity environment will become pyramided and not have the smooth look that you are going for. Where are you planning on keeping your tort? Maybe we can find out what tort species might be best for you.

qiangzhu

Washington
Asian Forest Tortoise(Burmese Mountain Tortoise) has the similar size. Leopard and Asian Forest tortoise are both ranked 4 or 5 largest in the world (some materials say leopard is averaged larger and some say Asian Forest is larger). But Asian Forest Tortoise is mostly black or brown which will not have a fancy shell pattern like Leopard.

Personally I also don't like Leopard (and Herman). There are some black dots in the scutes which are very like the eyes and remind me of the ghost. :)