Tortoise food/pretty plants - Rose of Sharon seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
I am not happy how you treated me in your private messages nor how I had to hand sort the seeds out myself.
It took me a half an hour to sort all the seeds out.

4tulox.jpg

All in all I am not satisfied with this purchase.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Unfortunately [ thru a couple PM's FIRST ] I tried to help Marty realize.. NOT doing what you say you are going to do when you say you are going to do it is not the way to build character and integrity..... especially at 15 years old. And as she demonstrated above she didn't like being advised to be accountable. I always thought a purchase involved an exchange of money for merchandise. She received..........

Terry K

coreyc - I'll be going to the Post Office again tomorrow.. you should have yours by Wednesday at least.

Let us know for sure...

Terry

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Redfoot NERD said:
Unfortunately [ thru a couple PM's FIRST ] I tried to help Marty realize.. NOT doing what you say you are going to do when you say you are going to do it is not the way to build character and integrity..... especially at 15 years old. And as she demonstrated above she didn't like being advised to be accountable. I always thought a purchase involved an exchange of money for merchandise. She received..........

Terry K

coreyc - I'll be going to the Post Office again tomorrow.. you should have yours by Wednesday at least.

Let us know for sure...

Terry

Hi Terry was that last statement for me ( let us know for sure) what did you mean?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
RE: Feed-back on Rose of Sharon seeds, etc.

Please let us not turn this thread south with negative comments.

Marty, to be fair, Terry DID say that these seeds would be in the seed pods, so I do not feel that complaint was valid.

Redfoot NERD said:

These come in seed-pods
that look like they are going to be typical "buds" that will bloom... instead they swell a little, get hard and dry-out and turn to seeds. The seeds are kinda "snail-shaped", flat and hairy.. so be sure none are stuck inside the 'pods'.

Nowhere did Terry say that he would be removing them from the pods himself.

If there is more to say on the subject, please do it in private.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Terry, Do you still have all colors available? I have the pink, and the white with red centers type, and would like to order some of the other colors if you have any.Thanks Len

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Len I've grown to like the White/Red-heart also.

awhiteRH.jpg

These have proven great to sprout - Blue Satin -

1BLUESatin.jpg

I had early on separated the different colors.. but now they are all together. There are a number of these seeds in the mix for sure -

1LavenderChiffon.jpg

1LAVENDERChiffon-1.jpg

This is a typical 3 year old Lavender Chiffon ( above ) - look at all of the blooms/buds in July.. until hard frost -

a3yoLAVENDER.jpg

PM me your info and I'll do the same.

Terry

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Got my seed's in a little while ago separated( not a big deal) and planted Thank's Terry :)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Spoke with "Len" about how he "starts" Rose of Sharon seeds.

*Cut the bottom off a plastic bottle.. turn the top upside down like a funnel.. stuff a piece of cloth rag down the neck and fill it up with good potting soil.. fill the bottom full enough to almost run over ( so the water can be absorbed ) when you replace the top on as shown here and wait a couple days until the soil in the top has absorbed the water. Sprinkle the seeds on top of the soil and then just barely cover with more soil -

Picture_0184copy.jpg

"Hey Terry, Here are the pics taken today. These seeds were planted during the first week of February. I then placed it on a window sill."

Picture_0183copy.jpg

When the water runs low in the base.. pick the top off and refill the bottom - DO NOT WATER FROM THE TOP!'

He said they were something like 4-6" tall [ see date in pic ] -

Picture_0185copy.jpg

I think this is ingenious.. maybe Len will add to anything I didn't get right!?

Terry

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Love it Len, and I'm going to try it. I'm planting mine tomorrow. Will Post some pictures when they start to sprout.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Terry,and Terry,and anyone else who tries this method,The only thing left out was when I water, I lift the upside down top half out and add water to the bottom half and replace the top half I don't water from the top.Len

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I have some planted in a 10 gallon aquarium sitting in my window. I did it that way so that I could put a lid on it to keep curious little kitties away, and also so I could put a lamp on them for warmth.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Remember once you get a tree with flowers, they become very invasive. Every Spring you will have hundreds ...really, hundreds....of sprouts. I know people who hate them because of this...of course they don't have any torts. I only have the white with the red heart, so that's why I wanted some of NERDS. I love the doubles...they really look like roses.
Here where I live they use them as hedges or living fences. They really look so pretty in the Summer when they are filled with flowers. They bloom from late Spring until the frost. I've seen people plant three different verities, and braid the bottom, and let them grow together. Eventually you don't see that braided bark, and you have a tree that produces three different color flowers. You can also just sprinkle some seeds in your torts vivarium, and let the little sprouts come up by themselves. I do that every few months, and Pio has a feast. Those little sprouts must be very sweet to a tort. :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay Len, Terry and Terry. That's it. I'm convinced. I need to plant a bunch more of these and keep the d*mn ground squirrels out of them this time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
kyryah said:
Does this mean more dynamite??? :D :D :D :D

No. That was for the d*mn gophers AND it didn't work. I blew up his entire tunnel structure TWICE and he still came back each time. I put out "The Black Box" and 20 minutes later he was in my freezer waiting for a large tegu to wake up from hibernation. The squirrels get the Have-a-heart and Jack russel treatment. BTW, it wasn't dynamite, it was carefully metered propane and oxygen, silly.:D

Good lord! I just realized how much time and thought I spend on pest management to protect my animals and their food sources.:(

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Tom if you think you can provide enough humidity.. and you can keep "Chip & Dale" out of the territory - send me your next paycheck and I'll send you 3 seed-pods.. if you promise not to eat the seeds!

OOOOOPS sorry got confused.. I was thinking - "Buy them books.. send them to school.. and what do they do? ---- EAT THE BOOKS!!!

It was nice talking with Len.. another "OLD GEEZER"!

16_5_42.gif

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How come everyone else only has to send 5 bucks and I gotta send a whole paycheck?!! Are you going to come plant them and tend to them for the first few months?

Status
Not open for further replies.