Tortoise food/pretty plants - Rose of Sharon seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
These seeds make plants that can be ornamental.. shade and food for just about any tortoise out there!

Their blooms look like this -

1BLUESatin.jpg

1PWWhite.jpg

1LAVENDERChiffon-1.jpg

1LavenderChiffon.jpg

Here's the variety you'll get -

1ROSEOFSHARONSALAD.jpg

Send me $5 and I'll send you enough seeds to produce a variety of all the colors above! Rose of Sharon schrubs grow to 6' in a couple of years.

Third year -

A3yrRoseofSharon.jpg

Email/PM me for address to send POSTAL money order to.. along with your address to send seeds to.

And maybe we can get TerryO to tell us how she gets her's started!

NERD

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Redfoot NERD said:
These seeds make plants that can be ornamental.. shade and food for just about any tortoise out there!

Their blooms look like this -

1BLUESatin.jpg

1PWWhite.jpg

1LAVENDERChiffon-1.jpg

1LavenderChiffon.jpg

Here's the variety you'll get -

1ROSEOFSHARONSALAD.jpg

Send me $5 and I'll send you enough seeds to produce a variety of all the colors above! Rose of Sharon schrubs grow to 6' in a couple of years.

Third year -

A3yrRoseofSharon.jpg

Email/PM me for address to send POSTAL money order to.. along with your address to send seeds to.

And maybe we can get TerryO to tell us how she gets her's started!

NERD

Those of you that have replied here .. according to the email from TFO saying you have.. need to PM me because your Q?'s are not getting posted. I forgot about the "For Sale" rules.. my mistake!

Thank you...

Terry K

This is how TerryO "starts" seeds -

I use the little plastic bin that the Spring Mix comes in. I punch holes in the bottom, and put in some Miracle Grow potting soil....sprinkle a few seeds on the top, and them lightly cover them with more Miracle grow potting soil. Lightly spray the soil with a mister, and cover. Put it in a well lighted spot. When the little sprouts are big enough, I take the cover off and put it on the bottom of the bin and use as a drip pan. Then I put the little bin in a sunny window, and water as needed. That's it.
In Pio's viv, I just sprinkle a few seeds after I clean it, in one spot that he doesn't go too often, and when the little sprouts come up he eats them. I do that with the Spring mix seeds.

Had to post for her...

I would suggest "starting" them to develop good roots so you can then transplant them to grow plants that will bloom forever. Otherwise they will only be 'sprout-food' !

NERD

Terry K

M

Maggie Cummings

Do I have to use a money order? It is difficult for me to get to the post office, won't you accept a $5 bill?[/i]

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
maggie3fan said:
Do I have to use a money order? It is difficult for me to get to the post office, won't you accept a $5 bill?[/i]

Just as I was replying last night we had a storm with power outage.. I was scrambling around in the rain/lightning starting my generator, etc. - it started first pull - it was fun!!! Thankfully the incubators stayed up-to-temps!

I just felt a Postal Money Order is more secure than cash thru the mail.... whatever you prefer Maggie.. whatever is best for you.

PM me your mailing address [ I'll do the same ] and after I assess the storm results.. I'll try my best to get to the Post Office today.

Thanks...

Terry K

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Feed-back on Rose of Sharon seeds, etc.

Let us know that you received your seeds.. how they are getting started.. how you are 'starting' them.. anything you might want to comment - please!?

These come in seed-pods that look like they are going to be typical "buds" that will bloom... instead they swell a little, get hard and dry-out and turn to seeds. The seeds are kinda "snail-shaped", flat and hairy.. so be sure none are stuck inside the 'pods'.

RoseofSharonseeds.jpg

I KNOW.... I HAVE ENTIRELY TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS.. be nice now.
10_1_1381.gif

NERD

BTW.. postage is $1.22.. it's the best part of 10 miles [ one way ] to the Post Office so that's $3 for gas.. the 'clasp' envelopes that I send them in are not free and my time is worth about $.37/hour... WAIT A MINUTE... I'm losing on this deal!
23_34_21.gif

Enjoy everyone...

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Do you accept Paypal?

Money order's are fine, it's just easier.

I'll likely be ordering some soon if you still have some available.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Seiryu said:
Do you accept Paypal?

Money order's are fine, it's just easier.

I'll likely be ordering some soon if you still have some available.

Not for 5 bucks Rob.. too many PayPal charges, etc.

PM me your mailing address and I'll do the same.. the sooner we get the seeds started the better they will do this year.. and future years.

I have a number of 'packets' available.

Thanks for asking...

Terry K

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
RE: Feed-back on Rose of Sharon seeds, etc.

I received my seeds today. AWESOME... thank you so much Terry!. I will now wait to hear from others on how they are starting them. Hopefully I can get them started inside and plant them outside this summer. Thank you again Terry!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan

I started mine in a window indoors, inside a old springmix container with about 2" of soil in the bottom. I soaked the seeds for about two hours, then put them in the container and sprinkled soil over them. I open the lid once a day for air exchange, but keep the warm and lid on for 8-14 days so that it stays nice and humid. They should sprout by then, but it will depend on the temperature, up to three weeks or so.

Once they sprout, water every 4-5 days.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin

kyryah said:
I started mine in a window indoors, inside a old springmix container with about 2" of soil in the bottom. I soaked the seeds for about two hours, then put them in the container and sprinkled soil over them. I open the lid once a day for air exchange, but keep the warm and lid on for 8-14 days so that it stays nice and humid. They should sprout by then, but it will depend on the temperature, up to three weeks or so.

Once they sprout, water every 4-5 days.

Thanks, I will give it a try. Terry sent LOTS of seeds so I will gets some started this weekend.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee

This is how TerryO "starts" seeds - remember she has 10 green-thumbs!

I use the little plastic bin that the Spring Mix comes in. I punch holes in the bottom, and put in some Miracle Grow potting soil....sprinkle a few seeds on the top, and them lightly cover them with more Miracle grow potting soil. Lightly spray the soil with a mister, and cover. Put it in a well lighted spot. When the little sprouts are big enough, I take the cover off and put it on the bottom of the bin and use as a drip pan. Then I put the little bin in a sunny window, and water as needed. That's it.
In Pio's viv, I just sprinkle a few seeds after I clean it, in one spot that he doesn't go too often, and when the little sprouts come up he eats them. I do that with the Spring mix seeds.

I decided to try the "JIFFY" seed-starter kit - no I am NOT usually a "kit" type person - got one anyway and I already have a sprout after a week.. will get pics ASAP. It has those little brown square "decomposable" seed-pots with something like 12 little compartments per tray.. maybe 60 all total.. come in different sizes. They set in a black plastic tray with a clear plastic dome lid.

I got the JIFFY seed-start soil [ which costs less than any other 'potting-soil' per volume ] and filled each square and watered and poked a hole in the soil with my finger and dropped 5-6 seeds in each one and poured more of the dry soil on the whole tray and just smoothed it all over to fill in the holes and then sprayed it all and put the lid on.
CAN'T ACCUSE ME OF NOT BEING "SCIENTIFIC"!!!

It fogged up and sprouted one in a week..... I'm sure they will have smooth carapaces!

Terry K

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I just received my seeds today, and if they're anything like the quality of the redfoot babies you sell Terry, I won't be disappointed! Beautiful pics of the flowers by the way :)

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Planted some last night... now it is a wait and see to see how green my thumb is ;0)

S

Scooter

I just received mine today, I will be planting some in the next couple of days. Thanks Terry. :)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Looks like we're using this thread..

The "JIFFY" seed starter:

COVERJiffySeedStarter.jpg

I'll get a pic of the 'sprouts' today - after about 10 days - ASAP

Terry K

BTW I do have several more 'packets' available!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Aww I used the Jiffy seed starter to grow sunflowers with my kindergartners last year :)
I'll have to buy another kit to grow some plants for Nelson!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee

Redfoot NERD said:
This is how TerryO "starts" seeds - remember she has 10 green-thumbs!

I decided to try the "JIFFY" seed-starter kit - no I am NOT usually a "kit" type person - got one anyway and I already have a sprout after a week.. will get pics ASAP. It has those little brown square "decomposable" seed-pots with something like 12 little compartments per tray.. maybe 60 all total.. come in different sizes. They set in a black plastic tray with a clear plastic dome lid.

I got the JIFFY seed-start soil [ which costs less than any other 'potting-soil' per volume ] and filled each square and watered and poked a hole in the soil with my finger and dropped 5-6 seeds in each one and poured more of the dry soil on the whole tray and just smoothed it all over to fill in the holes and then sprayed it all and put the lid on.
CAN'T ACCUSE ME OF NOT BEING "SCIENTIFIC"!!!

It fogged up and sprouted one in a week..... I'm sure they will have smooth carapaces!

Terry K

Some you can't see of course because of the dark 'skin' on the seed.. coming along -

228SPROUTS.jpg

Anyone else have 'sprouts'?

Terry K

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Monday I pruned all of the Rose of Sharon plants.. and collected the "seed-pods"!

THERE ARE SEVERAL SEEDS AVAILABLE NOW! NOW IS THE TIME TO GET YOUR 'sprouts' STARTED. I don't make a dime on these folks.. I'm just sharing what I have an abundance of.

Email or PM me.. with your mailing address.. I'll reply with mine - Postal Money Order is best.. a 5 dollar bill is fine if you are comfortable with mailing that.

I'll be going to the Post Office today or tomorrow.

Thanks,

Terry K

Status
Not open for further replies.