Tortoise food/pretty plants - Rose of Sharon seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Tom.. we've already been thru all that, besides those 'sulcs of yours should be big enough to handle a hampster in the hood...... can't they -- sheesh.

Wattawe gonna do wit these kids Len? Yer da plant-nurser.. I'm da photo-grabber...... cant they du anything for themselves these daze?

PM me Tom and we'll exchange mailing addys, etc. HUH?

I do entirely too much of this -
3_4_1021.gif

Terry K

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I had planned on going to the P.O. today.. however dropping temps [ below 32F ] and rain = ICE.. it should be past us tomorrow ~ crazy March weather on the plateau in mid-east TN!

Will be mailing to Maggie and Len tomorrow.. barring a blizzard, eartquake or flood - and at 1200+ feet above sea level.. if we flood, it doesn't matter anyway!

Terry

MAN........ DO I HAVE CABIN FEVER
10_1_1381.gif

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Terry, like I said I'm not in a hurry whenever you go that way, stop and send them off.As for the kids I wouldn't change a thing I believe most of them will be fine, and I love reading their post.Tom have you tried using hot peppers to repel the small rodents it could work, dried an turned into powder, either used by dusting the area or made into a paste and applied right to the plants. If that doesn't work maybe you could train those Bees to patrol the area. Len

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Len... How much of the bottom of the bottle do you leave to put the water in? OR.. how much of the top do you allow for the soil for the seeds to sprout in?

:p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
terryo said:
Remember once you get a tree with flowers, they become very invasive. Every Spring you will have hundreds ...really, hundreds....of sprouts.

LAst year you were talking about all the seeds you would get, but I could never find any on mine. This year after seeing Terry's picture of what they looked like, I went searching again. I found out that my three old and pretty good size ones did not have a single seed pod on them. Then I went out and looked at some of the ones planted in the last couple of years. I finally found seeds! It makes me wonder however, why my three older ones (over 10 years) have no seed pods on them and I don't ever remember seeing any. They grow well, bloom well, are in various spots with various levels of sunlight and moisture, only common thing I know is they are older plants.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have a two year old tree in my Turtle garden and I picked most of the seed pods (at leat 10 or 20 ) from that little tree, because I didn't want any growing in there. Remember in each pod there are about 25 or more seeds, so if 1 pod falls to the ground you get a lot of little sprouts coming up. I find them in the cracks of the pavers in my yard. I will take a picture soon and show you how many sprouts are coming up under my big tree. You won'd believe it. Look on the ground. Didn't any fall and start to grow under the tree?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
terryo said:
I have a two year old tree in my Turtle garden and I picked most of the seed pods (at leat 10 or 20 ) from that little tree, because I didn't want any growing in there. Remember in each pod there are about 25 or more seeds, so if 1 pod falls to the ground you get a lot of little sprouts coming up. I find them in the cracks of the pavers in my yard. I will take a picture soon and show you how many sprouts are coming up under my big tree. You won'd believe it. Look on the ground. Didn't any fall and start to grow under the tree?

Terry you are just depriving Pio of good stuff to eat by doing all that. I'm with Jacqui.. I don't have all those sprouts either - be thankful you get them!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
terryo said:

I have never had a single sprout appear. One of these bushes is not even inside of any enclosure. One currently has Russians in it, but sat empty for several years, no sprouts. The third one I use to forget it was even in the pen, until every year I would clip it down to only a few inches and as I clipped I would to late realize what it was I was clipping along with the grass. Once more, even with years of nothing being in that enclosure, no new ones ever appeared. But like I said before, none of these three bushes even had pods when I checked a couple of weeks ago.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Redfoot NERD said:
Len... How much of the bottom of the bottle do you leave to put the water in? OR.. how much of the top do you allow for the soil for the seeds to sprout in?

:p
Terry K , I received the seeds today, thanks. I cut the bottle(Coke) at the bottom of the label, and use both pieces as is, this puts the upside down top about an inch above the bottom of the bottom piece, the rag sticks out of the top piece so that it touches the bottom to wick all the water out before you have to refill.Remember it works best to lift the top piece out and fill the bottom with water and put the top back in place,This way the soil stays loose and doesn't get packed down. We get some sprouts at the Maryland house but not many. Len

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Redfoot NERD said:
terryo said:

Terry you are just depriving Pio of good stuff to eat by doing all that. I'm with Jacqui.. I don't have all those sprouts either - be thankful you get them!

NERD...in Pio's garden I leave the sprouts. She loves them. In the turtle garden I have to pull them up because they don't eat them and I don't want any more trees in there.
What kind of soil do you people have? My soil in my flower garden and also the turt and tort garden is very rich. When I first started these garden's I used only Miracle grow garden soil (yes..it costs a small fortune to fill all the planters, but was well worth it if you like lots of flowers). In a few weeks I'll post some pictures of all the little sprouts coming up. My brother-in-law lives in LI and he only planted one RofS tree, and now he has a living fence all around his yard from all the seed pods.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Keep them warm and moist and just wait. It can take up to three weeks.

My blue satin's are sprouting, but no sign of the chiffons yet :D

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Don't ya just love it everybody when someone [ like TerryO ] says they've got 'volunteer' plants growing everywhere - and then says something like "I can't understand why nobody else does.. I only paid a zillion to create two feet of soil that grows flowers you can climb in a year!
36_12_6.gif

Since my hard-drive crashed I haven't been able to check emails, etc. for the best part of a week.. something about my hard-drive wouldn't initialize.. it would boot just long enough to get a glimpse of my 'mail and then freeze and then "blue-screen"! So when I was finally able to get back logged-in to this old dinosaur computer I had a few PM's. John asked me the 'scientific' name for these seeds... when I Googled Rose of Sharon this is what I found -

http://www.amazon.com/Rose-Sharon-10-Seeds-Hibiscus/dp/B002VSLM9C?tag=vglnk-c944-20

Heck of a deal huh? Anybody gotten more than 17 seeds in their envelope?

Terry

John

5 Year Member
hey terry,sorry it took so long too post been very busy,anyway thanks for the seeds planted half the bag has too be a hundred in there easy,gonna send the rest off too my cousins. john

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Who has sprouts?

Early in the 'season' I kept a number of seeds from different plants separated.. the Blue Satin and White Chiffon have sprouted real well. So any sprouts anyone gets will most likely be these for sure -

1BLUESatin-2.jpg

or these -

1WhiteBushBLOOMS-1.jpg

With a lot of watering before DIRECT ALL-DAY sun and good well-draining soil and good organic "food".. like this -

HibiscusFOOD.jpg

... ( most garden stores.. Lowe's.. Home Depot, etc. carries this stuff. I have to put fences around my bushes to keep the tortoises from eating what I spead around the base of the bush - it is that good and completely safe. )

.. you could easily have blooms next summer.. maybe even this! They grow fast!

Terry

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I planted 9 and 5 have sprouted so far and are about 1 1/2 in tall. One of them wilted and died right away but the remaining 4 look healthy.

John

5 Year Member
well terry it took a couple weeks for me too get off my lazy butt and start em germinating,but here we go game on
2ikbcs7.jpg

2i6kuqh.jpg

14llbtl.jpg

thanks,john

S

Scooter

I planted some of my seeds about a week ago, though still waiting on sprouts.

John

5 Year Member
mine took about two weeks too get to where they are in the pics,and as you can see they all have not sprouted yet,but they will

Status
Not open for further replies.