Tortoise Food Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KubokShin

5 Year Member
I just went through and read this article here (Nutritional Considerations for Tortoises). The article as well as other sources have mentioned the important of not over feeding your tortoises with fruits. However in the article, under the vegie section the author listed zucchini, butternut squash, pumpkins, bell pepperst, etc. Those are fruits does this mean I should only feed these sparingly?

Also can someone list plants that are poisonous and good for Greek Tortoises? Or if anyone has a good link to share with me?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Yes, those items you typed in are indeed a fruit and should be fed as part of the diet a couple times a week...however, these items do not have as high a sugar content as let's say watermelon, strawberries, mango and the "traditional" fruit items...

:D

KubokShin

5 Year Member
Is cat grass (avena sativa) ok to feet your tortoise, specifically the Greek Tortoises?

And thank you for your answer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think that's oats, right? It can be fed to a tortoise.

Paradon

5 Year Member
yes, those are fruits, but they have nutritional value a lot like veggies. That is why they are listed in the list with veggies. :)

KubokShin

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for your answers. I'm just about to start planting a few plants before getting a tortoise. I already have Cat Grass for my bunny and thought I might as well kill two bird with one stone. :)

Are food for Greek differ from food for other type of tortoises? If so is there a list of plants specifically used for Greek? I do know that different tortoises require different diet. However, I'm not sure if the food listed at the tortoise table and at this page are also good for Golden Greek tortoises?

KubokShin

5 Year Member
This is probably the stupidest question yet. I'm planning on getting Aloe Vera to put inside the pen as well as growing outside since my old man likes eating Aloe Vera. Is it safe to leave a pot of Aloe Vera inside the tortoise pen? How do you feed tortoise succulents? Just take out all the needles and feed them whole?

Status
Not open for further replies.