Tortoise flipped in soak

counting

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Uhg I feel so awful right now.

Atlas was in his soak container. I never had a flipping issue ever before. Put the container in his enclosure and went to the laundry room to switch over loads. Came back a little while later and Atlas had flipped on his back in the container. He was trying to flip himself back over with his legs and head.

He wasnt overheated or cold (he was 89 degrees with temp gun) and I keep his water level only to the plastron and carapace join mark- but I'm terrified he may have become super stressed or inhaled water trying to flip himself back over using his head.

He is currently eating his food and seems normal. After I picked him out and flipped him he pulled in his head making a tortoise hiss a few times but that is it.(he usually just sits in my hand and gets neck rubs so he was clearly uncharacteristically stressed)

What do I need to watch out for. I feel so awful.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
I’m glad you got back in time! I’ve never had that problem. Sounds very scary.

I’m sure you weren’t very far, but try to make a habit of being around while he’s soaking. Lots of members, including myself, will prepare food, clean the enclosure, etc. during soaks.

Also, what container are you using?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I would be more worried if he was hiding away and was inactive but If he's eating OK and is out and about I should think he's OK.
Maybe just keep him warm and listen for any changes in breathing in case he inhaled any water but it sounds as if it was quite shallow.

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
I’m glad you got back in time! I’ve never had that problem. Sounds very scary.

I’m sure you weren’t very far, but try to make a habit of being around while he’s soaking. Lots of members, including myself, will prepare food, clean the enclosure, etc. during soaks.

Also, what container are you using?

Just a clear plastic container. Same one he was shipped to me in. Like a cheap disposable Tupperware style but too too high sided for him to climb out.

I have 4 kids(between the ages of 4 months and 6 years) and my husband wasn't home- so I stepped out for a second so I could juggle the kids and laundry as well. I keep the tortoise in a locked room for safety. I usually prep his food and stay in the room, as my husband is typically home to keep an eye on the kids.

:'(

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
I would be more worried if he was hiding away and was inactive but If he's eating OK and is out and about I should think he's OK.
Maybe just keep him warm and listen for any changes in breathing in case he inhaled any water but it sounds as if it was quite shallow.

Thanks. He is acting completely normally, but I'm a mess.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I know how much worry they can cause and when we blame ourselves it's far worse, but we all make mistakes and thankfully it sounds as if your little tort is OK.

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
He seems to be acting completely normally 24 hours after the event. We are watching just to make sure s/he doesn't need a vet visit.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
No you are not! You have 4 kids under 6 years and it looks like you are doing great...you can still communicate normally and write proper English! Plus you care about your little tortoise...kudos to you!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I mean worst case scenario you got one of those wobbly torts you hear about! Darn near fall over off almost anything! I know people like that!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When you soak dozens of babies every day, this becomes a regular occurrence. Its not a big deal. This is why its important to get the water level right. Drowning becomes a real concern if the water is too deep.

Atlas should be fine.

Joshualee67

NC
If you are going to be gone from home for a while like all day maybe 8 hours. What should I do in that case of hydrating my tortoise he’s a baby?

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
If you are going to be gone from home for a while like all day maybe 8 hours. What should I do in that case of hydrating my tortoise he’s a baby?
I'm gone 9 hours a day for work with a dozen babies at home. I soak them all in the morning before I leave, and all their enclosures have a small terra cota plant saucer as their water dish. It's heavy enough they can't move it or knock it over, and it's shallow enough that they won't drown. They've often crawled into it to drink and soak themselves, and I've never once had any flip themselves in it.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I've had this happen with my hatchling Cherry head once. Scared the crap outta me!

counting

5 Year Member
Canada
When you soak dozens of babies every day, this becomes a regular occurrence. Its not a big deal. This is why its important to get the water level right. Drowning becomes a real concern if the water is too deep.

Atlas should be fine.

Thanks. I am always super careful about water level. No deeper than where the plastron meets the carapace. Atlas is completely unaffected by the event.

I DID however discover how this happened today though. He didn't flip, but I saw he has now grow big enough he can get his front feet up to the top of the soak container to try and climb out...the perfect way to flip. Going to have to get a new soak container!

counting

5 Year Member
Canada

Atlas has a terracotta plant saucer with a small amount of water in their enclosure. I also soak. The flip happened in a high sided container I was using for soaking, not a low sided water bowl :)