Tortoise exposed to smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
We are moving and we might be staying in my grandmas house for a while and my tortoises might be staying in her garage. But she smokes cigarets in the garage. Will that effect the tortoises health?

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
It will effect them the same as any creature exposed to the smoke. Is the cigarette smoke more harmful than the world's pollution??? probably not, but I wouldn't want my tort out there with the cigarette smoke any more than I want my child or dogs around me when I smoke. A thought though if you have no choice....smoke rises so presumably if the tort is at a lower level than grandma they would get less smoke...another point to beware of though is that the smoke will cause a sticky stinky film on anything it touches...I wouldn't want an open enclosure anywhere near smoking because that sticky stinky film is going to get into the enclosure if it is open......

in short I would lobby for a space away from the smoke.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Too cold and drafty in the garage anyway.

How long are you going for? Can you leave them at home. Throw some cactus pads in. Those will last for days with out refrigeration and keep the tortoise hydrated too.

Status
Not open for further replies.