Tortoise End of Life Care?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RianSeeking

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane, Washington
I don't know how many of you remember but I joined this forum because of a Russian tort we purchased from Petco before we know ANYTHING about torts. A few weeks after we got her we realized 'Josh' was very sick and after subsequent vet visits learned that she was basically in some sort of renal/ organ/ body failure.

The vets didn't really think she'd live much longer but she's managed quite well in spite of walking limitations, etc. She's a very happy friendly tort.

Yesterday afternoon she had some sort of stroke like occurrence, spasming, foaming, etc. I wondered if she'd become over heated and put her in a soak just in case but the temps were all normal.

I decided it might just be time to say goodbye and cried for a while and the took her out onto the grass and sunshine ready to wait it out. It was obvious that she was having trouble breathing and she'd gone pretty much unblinking. A few times I thought for sure she was gone.

Well. She was still with us at bedtime so I tucked her in with a kiss. And she's still with us today, but appears that she's lost most of the strength in her back legs, which were never particularly agile. She's alert and making nom faces and eating BUT she can't move herself. She'll very determinedly go where she wants if I lift up her rear and let her front navigate.

So. Now what? If it were one of my mammals I would probably say goodbye and take her to the vet for euthanasia. But torts seem to stop eating when they want to go. In the wild she wouldn't be able to reach her food. Here I can give her food and move her into good temps, etc, but is that the tort equivalent of life support?

I suppose what I am asking is do you think she will stop showing interest in food when she is ready to go?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
The spasming and foaming sounds like a pain response - the paralysis is most likely a kidney or bladder stone! Get her back to the vet for some XRays! I think this can be fixed!

The fact that she was already having renal issues supports my theory that this is a urinary stone issue.

You need to determine if there is a stone and then there are things that can be done to try to pass it, if it isn't too large. Surgery is also possible.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
I definitely agree with Kristina - and hopefully that is all it is and that the problem can still be fixed. Sorry I don't have any advice other than what is said above, but would like to hear updates (hopefully of recovery) Good luck.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I agree I would want another round of testing. Then base your choices on what options the Vet may have for what is found. You might have a surgery option (do you want to spend that kind of money? Do you even have it?). If there will be no further improvement, do you want to or can you even do the care Josh would need? Do YOU think Josh is ready to stop the battle or is suffering? If so, then I would have the Vet put him down. These are the "joyful" decisions only you can make and must make as the person who took the responsibility for this animal. You have done and given so much to Josh already and I applaud you for it. Sometimes caring for and loving these guys really sucks. *hugs to you and Josh*

Did you ever talk to Petco about Josh?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
More tests are warranted, I do think that animals just don't give up, they will continue to go and go even if they are dying, but in this case I would wait and do some more tests before you make any decisions.

RianSeeking

5 Year Member
Spokane, Washington
Can't say how much I love this forum. I would never have otherwise known Josh's symptoms could be stones.

I'll call the vet first thing Mon for X rays. Meanwhile we'll do a lot of time in warm soaks. She's in her bath right now nomming and looking around. She likes the hard surface of her pan because she can actually slide herself around some.

I never talked to Petco about her. Once we knew she was sick we were to attached to give her back and I'm not really sure they would recognize a sick tortoise anyway.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
I just read you story and wanted to say good luck to you. It must be horrible going through what you're going through. I REALLY hope that your tort makes a full recovery. Definitely listen to what the other forum members are saying b/c their experience is invaluable!

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
Good luck I hate that for you, but I Prayed for and you should too because the LORD Helps us with Everything.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I was in your same boat not too long ago. I was told Lou need surgery, he passed 2 VERY large stones each being about 1" in size. After he passed the first one, I began giving him mineral oil. He passed the second stone with out a peep and a TON of urates that looked like pebbles and gravel. He is now the KING of the yard and passing normal urates.

Don't give up, get a second opinion, I did and I am glad I did. I was told he wasn't going to live without the surgery. Guess what, he is still living!!!

I would also do Yvonne's magic baby food soaks! It works!!!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes, until you can get him to a reptile Vet, several soaks per day, and add a jar of carrot or sweet potato baby pureed baby food once per day. Lots of vets have not heard of this, but it really works.
You are doing a great job with him.

babylove6635

5 Year Member
that breakes my hart to hear about josh and what you are going through, its a tough descision been there too. i so prey he comes through it all.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
After the vet visit and everything settles down, you might consider a set of wheels for the back end. I've seen it done before. They use the same sort of epoxy that they use to repair damaged shells to attach the wheels.

RianSeeking

5 Year Member
Spokane, Washington
RE: Tortoise End of Life Care? UPDATE

So after a weekend of soaks and a flurry of early morning phone calls I've located a fairly reliable herp vet 45 mins away and Josh and I are making the trip this afternoon.

She seemed comfortable this weekend but this morning she is foaming again so I am glad I found a vet with Herp Experience so I can feel confident in any decision I have to make.

Please say a few prayers to help Joshers through her pain.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA

RianSeeking said:
So after a weekend of soaks and a flurry of early morning phone calls I've located a fairly reliable herp vet 45 mins away and Josh and I are making the trip this afternoon.

She seemed comfortable this weekend but this morning she is foaming again so I am glad I found a vet with Herp Experience so I can feel confident in any decision I have to make.

***Lots of prayers for you and Josh***

Good luck and I pray it all turns out OK

TortBrain

5 Year Member
My thoughts are with you and you will have my fullest blessing. Pls keep us updated.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

RianSeeking said:

Glad you have the Vet and can get in today. Keep us posted, because tho we are all going to be there with you in spirit, it makes it impossible for us to hear what the Vet has to say. :cool: *hugs* Now drive careful and fingers crossed for a good diagnosis.

RianSeeking

5 Year Member
Spokane, Washington
In the end the vet and I decided that we needed to let Josh go. He didn't see sign of blockage but he did say her lungs were almost entirely filled with fluid and that it was obvious her body was shutting down.

She was mostly gone and didn't react to the needle at all.

I am glad that she was comfortable enough last night to enjoy her soaks and her very favorite rare treat (half a grape) and also that she wasn't forced to spend the rest of the day essentially drowning.

Because of Josh my 8 year old son and I were introduced to the wonder that is the tortoise and without her we wouldn't have started our own little herd.

I will very much miss her cheerful 'nom' greetings every morning.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I am so sorry for your loss, and so happy she had you guys.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
that is sad news, but at least he is no longer in any type of pain. condolences.

Status
Not open for further replies.