Tortoise enclosures too close together?

emon

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Hello everyone, I hope you're having a good day :tort:

I have two Hermanns, both roughly 9 years old males in good health.
My question is regarding their enclosure(s).

Imagine their enclosure(s) as one big rectangle, kind of like a book shape-wise, about 5m (~16ft) in length and 2,5-3m (~8-10ft) in width. In the middle of the rectangle is a 10-15cm thick stone wall, seperating it in two length-wise.
Each of them has their own half of the rectangle basically.

Now my question is: Are the two enclosures too close together? Will this cause my tortoises harm in the long run? (Due to stress caused by a rival living close by for instance)

I'm certain that they're aware of each other's presence, as they sometimes (maybe 1-2 a week) pace close to the wall or lean against/try to climb it. Otherwise they seem to be very relaxed and content.

Should their enclosures be moved apart completely or is this setup alright?

Greetings ?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Welcome!

It is very stressful for a male tortoise to smell another male so near its home territory.

The chance that one or both will flip themselves or hurt themselves is very high. If one succeeds in climbing over the wall, they will fight. Fights in confined spaces are to the death.

I would suggest a separation of the enclosures - as far from each other as your property allows.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As long as they cant see each other there shouldnt be a problem. Some like mine, even seeing each other, have no problems. have two leopards side by side with a fence in between. They don't much care the other is there.
Now when I females around and near them, that's when you could tell they wanted out or at each other.
I I wouldn't worry about it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome!

It is very stressful for a male tortoise to smell another male so near its home territory.

The chance that one or both will flip themselves or hurt themselves is very high. If one succeeds in climbing over the wall, they will fight. Fights in confined spaces are to the death.

I would suggest a separation of the enclosures - as far from each other as your property allows.
A separation specially one they can't see thru is fine.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mine do that on the fence that isn't even shared.
They always walk the outer area of their enclosures. They usually stop a couple times, that I see, and try to push thru the fence, not the shared fence, just always wanting what's outside their walls/fence.
Not going to find too many with multiple tortoise housed on opposite sides of the property.
If you can and want to, go for it. Won't hurt, not needed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone, I hope you're having a good day :tort:

I have two Hermanns, both roughly 9 years old males in good health.
My question is regarding their enclosure(s).

Imagine their enclosure(s) as one big rectangle, kind of like a book shape-wise, about 5m (~16ft) in length and 2,5-3m (~8-10ft) in width. In the middle of the rectangle is a 10-15cm thick stone wall, seperating it in two length-wise.
Each of them has their own half of the rectangle basically.

Now my question is: Are the two enclosures too close together? Will this cause my tortoises harm in the long run? (Due to stress caused by a rival living close by for instance)

I'm certain that they're aware of each other's presence, as they sometimes (maybe 1-2 a week) pace close to the wall or lean against/try to climb it. Otherwise they seem to be very relaxed and content.

Should their enclosures be moved apart completely or is this setup alright?

Greetings ?
In most cases they should be fine with the dividing wall. I've done that many times over the years with male tortoises that would kill each other if given the chance, and I"ve never had an issue. I have two male South African leopards that would literally fight to the death right now if they ever got together, and they share a wall.

I think you are fine with it the way it is. If you start to see some problem the we are not anticipating, you could always make a change.

emon

Germany
Thank you all for the answers! ?
I'll keep their enclosures together for now, as you suggested. But I'll look for a good spot to build a second one, just in case.