Tortoise enclosure size

alywhit

Location (City and/or State)
Birmingham
Hey everyone!
I am new here but have been researching endlessly on the internet for the proper size to make an indoor enclosure for a 5 year old African spurred (sulcata) tortoise. I wasn’t given much information when I got her so she has lived in a 20 gallon aquarium her entire life. When I started reading and researching I realized I need to get her out of there and into a better, larger home ASAP! I just need to know how large to make her new indoor enclosure. Pics and diet tips appreciated as well. Any tips are appreciated honestly!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Age doesn't tell us size. They all grow at different rates. At 5 years old, a normal healthy sulcata tortoise should be 30-50 pounds.

I usually move them outside full time with a heated night box when they reach about 9-10 inches. They live in a 4x8' closed chamber indoors prior to that, but speed most of each day, weather permitting, outside when they are near that size.

Here is the care info:

alywhit

Birmingham
Age doesn't tell us size. They all grow at different rates. At 5 years old, a normal healthy sulcata tortoise should be 30-50 pounds.

I usually move them outside full time with a heated night box when they reach about 9-10 inches. They live in a 4x8' closed chamber indoors prior to that, but speed most of each day, weather permitting, outside when they are near that size.

Here is the care info:
Thank you so so much!!

alywhit

Birmingham

Here is the care info:
Is there any way I could get a picture of your indoor enclosure??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is there any way I could get a picture of your indoor enclosure??
I have many. Here is the bank of cages I start baby sulcatas in. These are 8 feet by 3 feet, and I have them divided in half. Sulcatas are in the middle row.

pcrealty

Wynnewood
Hey everyone!
I am new here but have been researching endlessly on the internet for the proper size to make an indoor enclosure for a 5 year old African spurred (sulcata) tortoise. I wasn’t given much information when I got her so she has lived in a 20 gallon aquarium her entire life. When I started reading and researching I realized I need to get her out of there and into a better, larger home ASAP! I just need to know how large to make her new indoor enclosure. Pics and diet tips appreciated as well. Any tips are appreciated honestly!!
$123.00 USD
HiCaptain Tortoise House Turtle Habitat Enclosure Wooden Small Animal Hutch Indoor/Outdoor from Amazon. Various sizes available.

Attachments

• Tortoise Bunkers.jpg
    Tortoise Bunkers.jpg
    761.7 KB · Views: 16

pcrealty

Wynnewood
Perhaps, you can build your own or use a larger rubber cement tub. Good Luck!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Perhaps, you can build your own or use a larger rubber cement tub. Good Luck!

Large rubber cement tubs are only big enough to temporarily house a hatchling tortoise. A 5yr old Sulcata would not likely be content in such little enclosure.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Please post a photo of your tort beside something to give a size equivalent to better help! Welcome

saleena.lewis

Massachusetts
Hey everyone!
It would be highly appreciated if you posted some pictures of your tortoise so that we could see the size of it and help you find the best and appropriate size enclosure for your pet.