Tortoise emergency heating

DamianUKcheshire

Location (City and/or State)
UK Cheshire
Hi there @ Tforum , just wanted some emergency ideas for heat unfortunately today my lighting fixture seems to have shorted or simply gone bad it blew up my basking bulb and tripped the electric switch every time I have attempted to use another bulb the micro stat seems fine so I'm assuming it is the lighting fixture . Unfortunately it's late at night and it can get pretty cold where I live.

So far i have filled a hot water bottle and wrapped and parcel taped it into a towel and submerged it in his substrate making a little heat pad .

is this safe to do just until the morning while places open or could it cause harm....

Thank you Damian & Vern

DamianUKcheshire

UK Cheshire
Hi there @ Tforum , just wanted some emergency ideas for heat unfortunately today my lighting fixture seems to have shorted or simply gone bad it blew up my basking bulb and tripped the electric switch every time I have attempted to use another bulb the micro stat seems fine so I'm assuming it is the lighting fixture . Unfortunately it's late at night and it can get pretty cold where I live.

So far i have filled a hot water bottle and wrapped and parcel taped it into a towel and submerged it in his substrate making a little heat pad .

is this safe to do just until the morning while places open or could it cause harm....

Thank you Damian & Vern
PS I'm a very new tortoise owner 2days and adopted him from my neighbour who no longer cared for him so I'm working with what she gave me which wasn't very good or safe unfortunately.. any advice or ideas would be hugely appreciated as we have all fallen in love with him :)

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Hand wormers work as well the water bottle will have to be re heated several times through the night I would think. If you have a room heater you could just worm the room up to 80 or so. I’ve had to deal with this a few times to the point I now keep extra light bulbs and fixtures and a generator just in case

DamianUKcheshire

UK Cheshire
Unfortunately heating is an issue in this house very old with COAL fires , Ill monitor him through the night and keep reheating the water bottle until I can get to Pets at home in the morning tyvm :) . and agreed good advise I plan on building up a healthy collection of spares and other equipment for him

thanks again Damian & Vern

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

Thank you Damian & Vern

Hello and welcome to the forum. I think what you’ve done for now was a great idea at least it’s something. I keep latex gloves on hand in case of such an incident where I fill them with hot water and tie them closed. There must be some sort of heat pad or human heat mat that you can use underneath the whole enclosure.?
Uummm...... hot packs are good to keep on hand too! They work in a flash.
What about a “CHE” bulb when you get to the store. It is a light bulb that gives off heat and no light. Good to have for both day and night time. Or is that what you already have?
what about a hot water bottle?
I’ll try to think of something!..
I am so sorry you are going through this. But see the hood in the bad....
At least it’s only for the night .
You’ll get a whole bunch of things in the morning..
Go early too because it’s thanksgiving and places close early...
Good luck. Keep us posted!!!!
?❤️??

DamianUKcheshire

UK Cheshire
ty for good idea ill give him a nice luke warm soak in the morning.
excuse the glare on the pic, but he seems happy enough he's had a good chow down on some strawberries and lettuce and he's straddling the heat PAD "lol" soon as he moves I'll refill the water bottle :)

Attachments

• 20201125_210246.jpg
    20201125_210246.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 33

DamianUKcheshire

UK Cheshire
aye :) just checked on him he's in the warmest room in the house and he's got a fleecy blanket over enclosure and his hot water bottle "make shift heat pad" which I just refilled hehe seems very happy and asleep more peed off I moved him but he seems happy

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
aye :) just checked on him he's in the warmest room in the house and he's got a fleecy blanket over enclosure and his hot water bottle "make shift heat pad" which I just refilled hehe seems very happy and asleep more peed off I moved him but he seems happy
What species are we talking about, and what is the overnight low temp in the house?

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey

now he just needs a glass of wine and a cigarette! ?