Tortoise doesn't want to come out and graze..

Status
Not open for further replies.

2tortoises

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have 2 sulcatas. One 12" and is a male and he comes out to graze during the day (here in AZ) sometimes for a few hours or other times twice a day. But the other tortoise I got (a week or so ago) who is 10" (female?) hasn't come out for 2 days. She was out last week and on sunday grazing but I didn't see her yesterday and today she has not come out. I took her out today twice (it was 70 degrees and sunny) but she didn't want to stay out and just went back in both times. The temps are fine in their enclosure and she doesn't appear sick. We're new to sulcatas but I'm assuming since it is a little bigger that it can go several days without eating? Any input? Or maybe she is eating the timothy hay inside her enclosure? That could be a possibility- we do put fresh hay for them inside.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
2tortoises, my little sulcata is that way sometimes. She stayed hidden alot when I first got her until she was less stressed. Perhaps yours is just getting use to her new suroundings and is still a little shy. Give it a little time and I'm sure she will be out in that fine AZ sunshine grazing before you know it. and I have not found that skipping a few meals has hurt them as long as it is not something that is long term.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I agree with Crazy1, plus what part of AZ do you live in?? I am in Surprise, but I know it was slightly overcast and chilly this morning so she could have decided not to come out, but most likely she will once she is use to her surroundings and it warms up a bit more. Plus she could be munching on the timothy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
2tortoises said:
I have 2 sulcatas. One 12" and is a male and he comes out to graze during the day (here in AZ) sometimes for a few hours or other times twice a day. But the other tortoise I got (a week or so ago) who is 10" (female?) hasn't come out for 2 days.

First, I have to crack your knuckles with this ruler to remind you that you need to quarantine new tortoises!!!

Secondly, there could be bullying going on that you don't see. The male might be upset that you have put another tortoise into his territory. Now don't think I'm a wierdo or anything, but bullying can be a mental thing. They don't necessarily have to push and shove and show outward signs. He might be telling her she doesn't belong (mentally) and so she stays hidden most of the time.

Moving around to a new house or new yard is pretty stressful for an animal like a tortoise who has a regular territory. Give the new tortoise a couple weeks to adjust. For now, place some food in front of her inside the house and just let her be a tortoise.

Yvonne

2tortoises

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks for everyones reply. I will keep an eye and I'm sure she'll come out when she feels comfortable. I didn't know anything about quarentine but I only did have the other one for a few days, so it's not like I had him for years and then added another. Didn't think it would make a difference, but it could have. Especially since the male was trying to mate her. But later today she sat right in the doorway just to bask in the sun but she doesn't care to go out and eat. Thanks again- have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.