Tortoise digging nest for hours

A1t99

Location (City and/or State)
bucks, UK
This evening as my tortoise went to sleep she started digging with her back legs and continued to do so. She slowed down and appeared asleep/ digging subconsciously and seems to still be doing so for about several hours. Is this anything to be concerned about. As she seems to be digging like she wants to nest eggs but hasn’t.

Attachments

• 5706883B-FCB5-474B-A37B-7FDF203F2E78.png
    5706883B-FCB5-474B-A37B-7FDF203F2E78.png
    399.9 KB · Views: 13

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Is she a first time egg layer? If so sometimes it takes a bit longer for them to lay. That substrate doesn’t seem to be holding up well either. Maybe it’s not moist and compact enough to be able to take the shape that she wants.

I would just let her be and check on her every hour or so to see if there is any progress.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually you can help by making sure the substrate is loose enough for her to actually be able to dig a hole. Be sure she stays warm enough too. If they get cold they can slow way down even stop. You don't want her to give up and become egg bound if this is for a true nest and not just a test next.

A1t99

bucks, UK
Yeah I did help remove some soil as it’s quite dry ( tomorrow I will moisten it ) but she doesn’t sleep under the heat lamp either. She has also never layed eggs. Nor shown may signs of doing so