Tortoise diet.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I recently added a large leopard tortoise to my collection. I do not know what her diet was prior to my getting her. I have been feeding her a good variety of weeds, grass, leaves and cactus. She is still having issues with constipation. I recently started feeding her kale, romaine and more Mazuri with some "good stuff" mixed in. This seems to be helping. My question is are tortoises like dogs in that when you change their food, you should mix the foods for several feedings to prevent issues? I am going to have to switch the bulk of all of my guys diet to less good stuff in a month or so, due to winter, and am thinking how to plan for the change. I grow as much as I can inside,but not enough for 6. Thoughts and opinions welcome.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
If she's eating the good greens, I would think she has eaten the before. If she was fed on lettuce and store bought greens, I would think she would reject the grass and weeds...? Maybe she's just getting settled in. A good long soak an plenty of water can always help constipation.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
If she's eating the good greens, I would think she has eaten the before. If she was fed on lettuce and store bought greens, I would think she would reject the grass and weeds...? Maybe she's just getting settled in. A good long soak an plenty of water can always help constipation.
Even daily soaks wasn't working. I am contemplating the idea that the diet change is part of the problem. She doesn't like the grass much n is way happier to eat store bought.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Even daily soaks wasn't working. I am contemplating the idea that the diet change is part of the problem. She doesn't like the grass much n is way happier to eat store bought.
Guess that;s what she was fed before, then :( It's probably just the sudden diet change, then! Maybe try mixing some lettuce in with her greens for a bit than gradually cut it out completely :)

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Cactus, cucumber and aloe are good stool softeners for tortoises

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Cactus, cucumber and aloe are good stool softeners for tortoises
Thanks. She won't eat aloe. I didn't try cucumber, but fed a lot of cactus. My husband it turns out has a knack for getting her to poo. He moves her to the end of the tub n she walks back. I tried this to no avail, but it works for him every time. He has a gift lol. Mixing romaine n kale in with the other stuff seems to be helping. I am going to transition my others slowly to the winter diet n in the spring back to the summer diet. I would guess some tortoises are more sensitive than others. Her stress level has undoubtedly been high too. She went from what I think was a goodish environment at least to being kept in a bath tub for several weeks to a pet store and lastly to me. Just really want her to feel safe n comfortable.