Tortoise cuddles! :)

PrayPeaceGod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Naples, Florida
Why hello there!
My name's Lauren, and I am a happy owner of a Russian tort. I've been striving to make sure my baby has the happiest and healthiest lifestyle possible, and to do so, I need to do my research!

I've been working my way towards buying him a tortoise table, and I'm trying to make sure he gets plenty of exercise and play-time. He hates sitting in his cage; he wants to roam around rather than sit in his 100 gallon tank.

ANYWHO! My tort is probably one of the most cuddly torts in the word :p:tort::D he absolutely love being pet and held; not kidding! I've been wondering how to pet a tortoise? Can you pet a tortoise under their neck? I usually just rub his neck and lightly massage his shell.

I've heard of people rubbing the underside of a tortoise's neck, but I'm kind of afraid that it would scare him. Any comments?

Have a great day!!!! :cool::):rolleyes::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort:

Attachments

• 2014-02-19 13.06.56.jpg
    2014-02-19 13.06.56.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 115
  • 2013-12-14 08.41.38-2.jpg
    2013-12-14 08.41.38-2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 108
  • 2013-11-26 15.50.36.jpg
    2013-11-26 15.50.36.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 110
  • 2014-02-17 13.48.10.jpg
    2014-02-17 13.48.10.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 105

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Yes, some torts love having their necks rubbed, top and bottom, and top of head too. Just move slow and see if he likes it.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I rub my finger in circles over my Russians head, she leans into it like a cat :)

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Mine like the top of their heads rubbed. They push their heads into my fingers when I do it

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Welcome, Lauren. A 100 gallon tank means a lot to a fish. For a tortoise, all that matters is the floor space. Even tortoise tables don't offer much. You'd be better off building your own or adapting a bookcase.

The floor is an unsafe place for a tortoise. This time of year, he should have time outdoors. Make him an escape proof pen. Cinderblocks are cheap and easy to use. Raised garden beds are good, too. You can bring him in for the night.

Your question was about cuddling. I don't cuddle my crew, so I can't answer. His nails look okay to me, but his beak is a little long.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Until very recently, I would have laughed to myself about tortoises and cuddling.
However, not very long ago I traded for a male Redfoot owned by a woman who LOVED this tortoise. He follows me around and seems to WANT to be picked up and get his neck scratched. If I extend my hands towards him he rises up on his legs to help. He also likes the butt area of his shell scratched with a soft brush.
Here's the really crazy part: His favorite thing is to sit in my lap and hang his front legs and head limp over the side.
I have never before encountered anything so "mammal like" in a reptile.
So, yes. If that's what you want. Touch young and touch him or her often.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Until very recently, I would have laughed to myself about tortoises and cuddling.
However, not very long ago I traded for a male Redfoot owned by a woman who LOVED this tortoise. He follows me around and seems to WANT to be picked up and get his neck scratched. If I extend my hands towards him he rises up on his legs to help. He also likes the butt area of his shell scratched with a soft brush.
Here's the really crazy part: His favorite thing is to sit in my lap and hang his front legs and head limp over the side.
I have one that likes to lodge himself under my arm and likes head rubs. The other pees and poops on me. Very sneakily too. :D You lift the towel and she's like "surprise!"

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
That was a nice story. I am glad that the trade exposed you to seeing another side of torts. Sounds like you got a good trade.

Lulabee247

Durham
Why hello there!
My name's Lauren, and I am a happy owner of a Russian tort. I've been striving to make sure my baby has the happiest and healthiest lifestyle possible, and to do so, I need to do my research!

I've been working my way towards buying him a tortoise table, and I'm trying to make sure he gets plenty of exercise and play-time. He hates sitting in his cage; he wants to roam around rather than sit in his 100 gallon tank.

ANYWHO! My tort is probably one of the most cuddly torts in the word :p:tort::D he absolutely love being pet and held; not kidding! I've been wondering how to pet a tortoise? Can you pet a tortoise under their neck? I usually just rub his neck and lightly massage his shell.

I've heard of people rubbing the underside of a tortoise's neck, but I'm kind of afraid that it would scare him. Any comments?

Have a great day!!!! :cool::):rolleyes::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort:

Lulabee247

Durham
Awww I never seen myself as a reptile owner but now I have a tortoise I love to make her feel relaxed I gently rub under her neck and she stretches it right out like a giraffe so I can get me finger further under. Also I never knew this till last week but I put her on my chest and gently massage her soft bits (as I call them) as in the tops of her front legs right under the shell to bottom of neck, she actually falls asleep on me, I’m sure if your tort falls asleep while your hold them that means they trust you and are comfortable. Makes me smile and warm inside when she falls asleep on my chest. Who knew tortoises could be so cuddley ❤️

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I can't believe I wrote that so long ago.
He seemed to be one of a kind.
I've never seen anything like it again