Tortoise Cruelty on Pintrest

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Not cruelty. Hibernation. This is the only way to keep them safe and at a consistent and correct temperature. Leaving them outside, subject to the whims of Mother Nature is cruel in my opinion.

The tortoises ideally should each be in a separate container with some substrate, but not that big a deal if they want to do it this way.

nathanlevi

California, North Hollywood, LA
Not cruelty. Hibernation. This is the only way to keep them safe and at a consistent and correct temperature. Leaving them outside, subject to the whims of Mother Nature is cruel in my opinion.

The tortoises ideally should each be in a separate container with some substrate, but not that big a deal if they want to do it this way.
Should the fridge be on or off when this is happening. Also leopards don't hybernate right?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Should the fridge be on or off when this is happening. Also leopards don't hybernate right?
Fridge needs to be on, set to the correct temperature, and monitored closely.

Leopards do not hibernate, however, some leopards in some parts of their range DO hibernate as it snows there, and frost is not uncommon in many parts of their range. In our captive enclosures, leopards are usually not hibernated. I don't see leopards in this picture, but my screen is tiny and my eyesight is not what it used to be...

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Also, one would hope a totally separate fridge would be used for brumating tortoises, and NOT the same fridge you keep your food in.
That is what I was thinking. The bell peppers made me laugh out loud.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
I think it was just set up to take a picture. Either that or owner doesn’t really have a clue about the issues of keeping separate species of tortoise together, asleep or not.

Erinelle

Hales Corners, WI
I think it was just set up to take a picture. Either that or owner doesn’t really have a clue about the issues of keeping separate species of tortoise together, asleep or not.

I can see why you’d see this and gasp!
It’s appears a bit inhumane at first glance.
I’d never hibernate torts like this.....

They should be in separate containers with bottoms so their extremities aren’t dangling through the shelf grates! The door of a fridge is isn’t exactly ideal either.

I’d like to believe it was staged for the “wow” factor.
Most people aren’t this careless and lax about the process. If I believe it’s staged, at least it makes me personally, feel better about the view.
Though it’s not exactly a picture that should be shared with the general public; rather maybe experienced tort friends who’d get a laugh out of it?! Sharing with the general public sends a possibly dangerous message with risk to torts as not all keepers are experienced (or smart enough) to consider the careful hibernation process.

To experienced tort owners like Tom (and Yvonne and others here) they’d likely laugh at the picture and think someone is trying to be funny (or hoping).

Thanks for sharing and keeping an eye out! [emoji6]

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I've been avoiding this thread because of the title. I just don't need to see pictures of cruelty.

But today I clicked on it, and burst out laughing! What a sight! I do think it was staged, at least I hope so.

I use a fridge for brumation for Chug. That picture certainly isn't how I do it.

The drink items and the freezer packs are in there only to help keep the temp stable, and offer a bit of cooling for a power failure. I can't imagine brumating any other way.20171119_063649.jpeg20171119_063617.jpeg