Tortoise Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
AZ
My coworker and I bought a 25lb bag of Mazuri.

My Greeks really relished the new offerings and have ignored their greens.

I mean it's as if they were eating fruit loops on a buzz, complete with perma-smile and glazed eyes. So I hear.

When will they eat corn with molasses in the wild? Let alone soy products?

I don't think I'll be buying anymore mazuri once all the new
grasses take off.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To each his own. I used to think that way too, but a lot of people, including myself have found it really beneficial, nutritionally speaking.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I love Mazuri for those Winter months when I can't get out to buy greens and veggies, because of the snow or cold weather. I also love it for a boxie or tort who is a fussy eater. I chop up some greens, veggies and fruit and mix it with a little Mazuri and they love it. You can slowly decrees the Mazuri and eventually they will be getting their greens. A few times when I was sick and couldn't devote a lot of time to feeding, it was great to have on hand. You don't have to feed it all the time, although some people do, but it's great to have in the house....just in case. I would never be without it.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I mix it and sometimes I skip giving it for a day or two. But we all have to do what we feel is best for our torts. I also have found it beneficial and I am always finding a way to mix it with other items that my torts enjoy...

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I get what you are saying, I don't give my kids any junk food because it creates bad habits that can lead to health problems and obesity. The problem is I have never heard of Mazuri having even the slightest negative effect on a tortoises and have only heard success stories. I put mine in warm water and spread it like a paste over mixed greens twice a week. I thought that I would stop once the warm weather came and I could let her graze naturally but I cannot really find a reason to stop.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Oh ok guys. I'll use it when I run our of greens and cant make it out to the store.

I recall turtles being raised exclusively on reptomin. What about mazuri for tortoises?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Oh, cool. I ordered some Mazuri for my Russians. Should be here soon. Sounds like your Testudo like it, so I'm hopeful mine will, too, since they don't like other proprietary tortoise foods. Right now they eat only grocery and garden greens, sprinkled vitamins and minerals (which is good), but it would be nice to add Mazuri to their diet for some variety.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Oh, cool. I ordered some Mazuri for my Russians. Should be here soon. Sounds like your Testudo like it, so I'm hopeful mine will, too, since they don't like other proprietary tortoise foods. Right now they eat only grocery and garden greens, sprinkled vitamins and minerals (which is good), but it would be nice to add Mazuri to their diet for some variety.
My guess, they will like it.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I don't see Mazuri as "junk food". But it does definitely contain some ingredients that are questionable in terms of their value. Based on what I've read about Mazuri those ingredients were added to achieve the nutrional value that the manufacturer wanted.
I feed my tortoises Mazuri once a week, mixed with greens. I've only started using it within the past two years. I can't say that I've seen a positive or a negative result from it's use. But then most positive effects may not be a noticeable as a negative effect. Due to it's nutrional make up I personally will never consider feeding it to my tortoises as their diet staple, but will probably continue to use it as a supplement to a high quality, varied diet.

I keep primarily Testudo species and have observed the following in regard to Mazuri consumption:

My Marginateds of all ages absolutely devour it! My Eastern Hermann's will eat it, but aren't crazy about it, my Dalmatian and Western Hermann's rarely pay much attention to it. My Ibera Greek young and adults will occasionally eat it. My Russian never touch it.

My Pancake tortoises never touch it, My Burmese Brown will nibble on it but not very enthusiastically.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I feed my Red foot, it once a week, that is all he gets, because if I let him eat it everyday he would. I tried it with my other species and no one else liked it.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
The day after I feed Mazuri to the Cherries, they both refuse all foods given to them. Holding out for more Mazuri, I'm sure. The next day they will eat again.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
AND I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO SEE PICTURE OF YOUR TORTISES BUTT! 'LOL' SORRY I DID! MUST BE ALL THE POSIN IVY MEDS I AM ON! LINDY

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
GBtortoises said:
I don't see Mazuri as "junk food". But it does definitely contain some ingredients that are questionable in terms of their value. Based on what I've read about Mazuri those ingredients were added to achieve the nutrional value that the manufacturer wanted.
I feed my tortoises Mazuri once a week, mixed with greens. I've only started using it within the past two years. I can't say that I've seen a positive or a negative result from it's use. But then most positive effects may not be a noticeable as a negative effect. Due to it's nutrional make up I personally will never consider feeding it to my tortoises as their diet staple, but will probably continue to use it as a supplement to a high quality, varied diet.

I agree with your views, especially the part I bolded. I don't feed it to my tortoise at this time but I would consider it in the future, as a very small part of a varied diet :)
I would never consider feeding it daily, and especially not exclusively!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Um... You really cannot go by just what they eat in the wild. There is almost NOTHING most of us can offer that is much like their wild diet.

There is also the issue that there is a lot of stuff we as humans eat that are just plain dumb in many ways...
- we drink the milk of other species, as adults. We are the ONLY animal on Earth that does either of these.
- we eat a lot of cereal grains that we cannot digest unless it is processed in unnatural ways.
- there are foods we eat that we cannot digest without heating it to burst the cell walls, like potatoes.

Heck, most animals, including humans, crave fats, sweets, and salts- but can only rarely get them in the wild, so kind of freak out when they get it. Mazuri has the sweets- so it is easy to dismiss as 'ice cream', but in reality, the sweetness is just a tool to provide carbs and improve flavor. Instead of comparing it to ice cream, we should compare it to something like a fruit-filled breakfast muffin (the non-fat kind)

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Madkins007 said:
Um... You really cannot go by just what they eat in the wild. There is almost NOTHING most of us can offer that is much like their wild diet.

There is also the issue that there is a lot of stuff we as humans eat that are just plain dumb in many ways...
- we drink the milk of other species, as adults. We are the ONLY animal on Earth that does either of these.
- we eat a lot of cereal grains that we cannot digest unless it is processed in unnatural ways.
- there are foods we eat that we cannot digest without heating it to burst the cell walls, like potatoes.

Heck, most animals, including humans, crave fats, sweets, and salts- but can only rarely get them in the wild, so kind of freak out when they get it. Mazuri has the sweets- so it is easy to dismiss as 'ice cream', but in reality, the sweetness is just a tool to provide carbs and improve flavor. Instead of comparing it to ice cream, we should compare it to something like a fruit-filled breakfast muffin (the non-fat kid)

Well put...

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Mao Senpai said:
Madkins007 said:

Heck, most animals, including humans, crave fats, sweets, and salts- but can only rarely get them in the wild, so kind of freak out when they get it. Mazuri has the sweets- so it is easy to dismiss as 'ice cream', but in reality, the sweetness is just a tool to provide carbs and improve flavor. Instead of comparing it to ice cream, we should compare it to something like a fruit-filled breakfast muffin (the non-fat kid)

Well put...

& Interesting!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Madkins007 said:

Love it well said...

Status
Not open for further replies.