tortoise cozies

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
I'm sure you've seen them before, the adorable knitted sweaters they make for tortoises now.

tortoise-cozie-mohawk_zpsccc12da0.jpg

while they are unbelievably adorable, THEY WILL NOT KEEP A TORTOISE WARM. I've seen many people on instagram using this to keep their tortoises warm. tortoises are cold blooded reptiles that if left alone are ice cold. the only way they achieve warmth is from outside sources, the sun, a hot rock or the lights we provide. a sweater works by retaining the heat you as a warm blooded animal are constantly producing. a sweater is doing absolutely nothing for your tortoise. and in my opinion is just making them very uncomfortable. some may argue that you could use them on car rides with the heat on, keeping them a little warmer but that's just silly. it may be true but hardly. I'm not telling people not to use them just do not think it is benefiting your pet at all.

except for making them look even more adorable :)

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
The website, blog, shop, television interviews and packaging related to this product ALL make it clear that tortoises are cold blooded creatures and that these are not meant to be used on them to provide warmth. If individuals are assuming incorrect things it is not because of the company trying to mislead them. They are marketed as Yard Finders which is the purpose they were intended for and by the way they work brilliantly for. They are for people who want a safe way to acessorize their tortoise and be able to locate them easily as they roam.

If I am understanding your post you object to them based on the individual purchasers possibly erronious assumption that they provide warmth. However that is not the intended or advertised use of the product.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
i have never visited the website but i did assume they would let people know the actual use. this was more for the people who obviously didn't read that disclosure. there were actually people on here TODAY who said they would keep your tortoise warm. i never stated that i object to them, simply that they probably make the tortoise uncomfortable, and that's just my opinion. i only said do not think they are benefiting your pet because it's mostly for our own devices.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
The best part of the tortoise tracking balloon device, I'm able just to turn him loose in the pasture. That said, it's amazing how far and how fast these guys can travel.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I bet you would be sick if you turned around and saw that balloon flying off! Still, I can't wait to try this method. Mine are still too small to be set outside out of their playpens.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Fred, the tortoise in the picture is a rescue and has a fair amount of pyramiding. I used an elastic band, tied to his mid-section, between raised scutes to keep it in place. But yes, I would have been fully sickened to see the balloon floating away.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
tffnytorts said:
Some people in instagram are absolutely nuts

*raises hand* yep, I'm one of the insta-nuts [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] I post rediculous amounts of pictures of my sullies. And sometimes food. But mostly of my babies [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: tortoise cozies

Barista5261 said:
tffnytorts said:

*raises hand* yep, I'm one of the insta-nuts [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] I post rediculous amounts of pictures of my sullies. And sometimes food. But mostly of my babies [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Haha! What's your user? I use a friend's.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Central Florida
tffnytorts said:
Barista5261 said:
tffnytorts said:

Haha! What's your user? I use a friend's.

Same name as here [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

argus333

5 Year Member
if tortoise was warm before u put it on it would work. hold in the heat

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
argus333 said:
if tortoise was warm before u put it on it would work. hold in the heat

Not really. Maybe for a few seconds, but not by no means any length of time that would be beneficial to the tort. Use them as intended, to locate a roaming tort or for your own amusement.

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
My grandmother kitted my rt a cute pumpkin as like a "costume" for halloween super cute. I think those who assume they are being kept warm are just generally not aware of tortoises anatomy and optimal temperature. You can't regulate a torts temp with a sweater that's just silly. ImageUploadedByTortForum1386306198.963967.jpg I had no idea they were made to be yard finders what a great idea

Last edited by a moderator:

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
Love the elmo balloon,My youngest son was always wandering off when he was small,so I used to tie a balloon to his dungarees lol