Tortoise Convention - Ever been done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
I mentioned once, as a side note, how fun it would be to have a get together for the TF members. As a member of the American Tarantula Society, we are coming up on our 12th annual convention. Let me give you an idea of how we could do something like this...

We would rotate the location of the event so that it is closer for different groups each year. We contact a local hotel, get group rates or TF members, and book a conference room or two.

On the evening prior to the event, we could have a meet and greet, or mixer, at the hotel's restaurant or lounge. This gives people a chance to meet those we've only known online.

During the next day (or two), we have different events planned.
First, in one conference room, we have a shopping experience. All things tort/reptiles. Vendors of all kinds, almost like an expo. This would run throughout the course of the day (or both).
Second, we hold lectures and workshops in another conference room. We get speakers, both professionals and hobbyists to share information of all kinds - all things tortoise related.

During the second day, we have the mini-expo for half day, more lectures and presentations, and follow it up with a raffle. People and vendors can donate torts, supplies, art work - you name it. We order pizza and get together for a fun raffle. (Since this is not an official non-profit organization, we could donate the proceeds of the raffle to a local rescue, or something along those lines.)

If the area that the conference is being held in has something fun and tortoise/reptile/animal related that could be attended as a "field trip," that would be fun.

I know this may sound far fetched, but I am amazed at the turnout and FUN that tarantula owners have each and every year. Just thought I would post this for fun, as I'm sitting here thinking about what a tortoise conference would be like.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Every year that TSA conference is held in a different city. It was on the west coast either last year or the year before.

M

Maggie Cummings

Every year there are 4 tortoise/reptile conferences within driving time of my house...

rwfoss

5 Year Member
TylerStewart said:

Tyler! Great link - and it's in my backyard, practically! Thanks for the link.

If anyone else is attending, we should make a plan to meet up.

Someday, however, I would like to try a weekend get-together for Tortoise Forum folks. A family friendly mix of hobby and science, games, tortoise contests, photo contests, lectures, demonstrations, etc. Someday, someday...

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
rwfoss said:
TylerStewart said:

My wife and I are going to go down on Wednesday night and attend all the meetings that weekend in Phoenix. The conference is on Thursday and Friday, with the Expo Saturday and Sunday. I think Tom had expressed interest in going, as well as "gummybearpoop," who is there also. They have some good speakers lined up. We are sponsoring the conference (apparently), as well as doing the show the same weekend (PhxReptileExpo.com). It's a very tortoise-heavy show with lots of keepers in AZ, and would be a good one for any tortoise nut to get down there to.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
TylerStewart said:
rwfoss said:
TylerStewart said:

My wife and I are going to go down on Wednesday night and attend all the meetings that weekend in Phoenix. The conference is on Thursday and Friday, with the Expo Saturday and Sunday. I think Tom had expressed interest in going, as well as "gummybearpoop," who is there also. They have some good speakers lined up. We are sponsoring the conference (apparently), as well as doing the show the same weekend (PhxReptileExpo.com). It's a very tortoise-heavy show with lots of keepers in AZ, and would be a good one for any tortoise nut to get down there to.

So Bluebeast will have a table at the Expo? We will be sure to come say hello!

spikethebest said:
we should all post our locations, and see where is the most, then that could be the first place.

Well, I'm in Arizona! A nice get away in the spring and fall, weather wise that is!

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
rwfoss said:
So Bluebeast will have a table at the Expo? We will be sure to come say hello!

Well, I'm in Arizona! A nice get away in the spring and fall, weather wise that is!

Well, Tortoise Supply will, yes. We are trying to switch over from the Bluebeast name, which was really made when we were breeding blue-colored chameleons. We had a booth there last year also, which was the first year for this particular show. Last year we had 4 tables, and we will this year also. The Fifes will be there, as well as a few other tortoise-heavy vendors. The promoters themselves are big time tortoise guys.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'm in AZ as well, planning on attending the TTPG meeting, as well as checking out the reptile expo. Perhaps that would be a good week for a tortoise forum group meeting? That week would be like pleasure overload for me if we did that!

nancydrew88

5 Year Member
Are there any tortoise conferences in the Chicago area that anyone knows of?

Randee

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I know the members in calif usually get together once a year or so at a resturant, they did last year.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Love this idea. I do plan on going to Phoenix, but it would also be great to get together sooner.

rwfoss

5 Year Member
Well, I wonder what the best way is to organize this type of thing? I can do anything in the surrounding Phoenix area (or south) just about any time. It would be fun if we could bring some torts too!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
we have done a few SoCal meetings. and of course, people try to meet up for reptile shows/conventions/etc.
maybe we should have a thread where we all post our zip codes. then we can get a good idea of where everyone is. i could plot a map with a dot for each person...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Josh said:
we have done a few SoCal meetings. and of course, people try to meet up for reptile shows/conventions/etc.
maybe we should have a thread where we all post our zip codes. then we can get a good idea of where everyone is. i could plot a map with a dot for each person...

Excellent start! 76078

Status
Not open for further replies.