Tortoise bunk bed enclosure

hdeaver1

This winter I have realized that my indoor enclosure for my tortoises is lacking. Sadly, due to my own neglect and lack of proper treatment I started to see the effect in one of my hatchlings. So, in an effort to remedy the problem and lots of extra soaks for the little guy. My husband and I bought two of the zoo med Tortoise houses (https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-wood-...ts&utm_term=1100005111989&utm_content=Zoo Med) and then my awesome husband built what we have deemed a tortoise bunk bed. I thought I would share what it looks like. I think it will allow me to control the temperatures better. On the top I have my 5 year old Tortoise and on the bottom I have a 6 month old and 2 month old hatchling. tortoise bunks.jpg

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
Awesome idea, but is the top of it closed off to retain the heat and humidity? A little hard for me to tell from the pic.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New England
The problem with those enclosures is that when you reach the required 80% humidity for hatchlings, they begin to mold. They also are too small for a five year old tortoise of any species.

Keeping a six month old and a two month old together could become problematic. The larger one will likely begin to bully the smaller one by not letting it have the "good" basking spots, the "good" sleeping areas and chasing it away from the food.

hdeaver1

The problem with those enclosures is that when you reach the required 80% humidity for hatchlings, they begin to mold. They also are too small for a five year old tortoise of any species.

Keeping a six month old and a two month old together could become problematic. The larger one will likely begin to bully the smaller one by not letting it have the "good" basking spots, the "good" sleeping areas and chasing it away from the food.

The hatchlings are comparable in size and so far no issues, but I will continue to keep watch to ensure there are no problems. My husband treated the wood with weather stuff...

The top enclosure for the 5 year old is temporary. There is a larger outdoor enclosure for him/her, but at night it is too cold here in Nevada. Most days, pending weather, Tortellini is able to go play outside. As it gets warmer they all have an outdoor space.

Either way it may not be perfect, but it's better than what it was before...