Tortoise birthday

lucycdavies

Location (City and/or State)
Haverfordwest
My tortoise's birthday is coming up soon and I was wondering if anyone has ideas of treats for her - she is a one year old spur thighed

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is something you, the tortoise keeper, is going to enjoy, not the tortoise. Whatever you do will be strictly for your benefit. The tortoise will take it as it comes with no special recognition or enjoyment. So whatever you want to do, go for it!

You might enjoy inviting some of your closest friends or relatives who appreciate your love of the tortoise, and have a party.

Be creative and make some sort of tortoise cake. . . in fact, make two, one for the humans at the party, and one for the tortoise. Your tortoise's cake doesn't have to be "cake" but make it out of his favorite veggies and greens in the shape of a cake.

lucycdavies

Haverfordwest
Thank you! What do tortoise's like for a treat? My tortoise loves rocket and watercress but is there such thing as tortoise treats (like dog treats but for tortoise's)?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I would give some of the white part of romaine, aloe, roses, hibiscus flowers, carrot peelings, anything that it doesn't get on a regular basis but loves. There isn't really a thing like dog treats for tortoises, though.

BlakeElDorado

El Dorado Hills
Each sulcata has different tastes... my big guy LOVES banana and that's his birthday treat (because theyre not in his normal diet)... I had another sulcata that couldnt be bothered by banana and would avoid it at all costs.

ZDR94

Abergavenny, Wales
Each sulcata has different tastes... my big guy LOVES banana and that's his birthday treat (because theyre not in his normal diet)... I had another sulcata that couldnt be bothered by banana and would avoid it at all costs.

Hi! I just thought you may want to know that banana can harm your tortoise. It’s recommended they’re not fed banana as it causes their beak to rot. Maybe you could try the odd grape or strawberry instead?Although they shouldn’t have these sugary treats, a small amount won’t harm them. Mine even loves a small slice of pepper as a treat, which is even better for them.

BlakeElDorado

El Dorado Hills
Appreciate the concern! He’s nearly 40lbs and eats banana 3/4 times a year... I think he’s doing fine :).

Attachments

• 5656F2D5-98C8-4477-9266-C3A471E1FEFE.jpeg
    5656F2D5-98C8-4477-9266-C3A471E1FEFE.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 8

ZDR94

Abergavenny, Wales
Appreciate the concern! He’s nearly 40lbs and eats banana 3/4 times a year... I think he’s doing fine :).
I have a spur thighed species and I am wondering if banana is ok for them to have
Hey! Banana can get stuck in their beak because it’s soft and then it causes the beak to rot. Obviously it’s not guaranteed this will happen but because there’s a chance it can cause harm banana is not recommended. I personally don’t think it’s worth the risk especially when there’s so many other things you can give as a treat (strawberry/grape/bell pepper).

lucycdavies

Haverfordwest
T
Hey! Banana can get stuck in their beak because it’s soft and then it causes the beak to rot. Obviously it’s not guaranteed this will happen but because there’s a chance it can cause harm banana is not recommended. I personally don’t think it’s worth the risk especially when there’s so many other things you can give as a treat (strawberry/grape/bell pepper).
Thank you, I fed her a grape the other day and she didn't like it

ZDR94

Abergavenny, Wales
T

Thank you, I fed her a grape the other day and she didn't like it
Lol mine turned his nose up to a grape to begin too but I tried it again the other day (about 6 months after the first time) Just because I had some in the house and he couldn’t get enough lol. He must have have changed his mind. You can try lots of different things, each tort is different. Tomato’s are another thing they tend to love as a treat too.