Tortoise behaviour (eye)

Andy&Otis

Location (City and/or State)
England
Ok so this morning I stuck his old 75w daylight basking bulb in. Unfortunately i dont have anything else to provide both uva and uvb other than the 130w bulb. But I read on here its ok to go a day or few without his UVB? So I'm testing this morning with his old less powerful basking bulb. Hopefully if he acts a bit better and shows improvement I might not need the vets tomorrow, and just a less wattage bulb! Fingers crossed he acts better with it!

Appreciate all the feedback,
Andy

fisers666

Riga,Latvia
I'm still thinking it's the light. Raising it might adjust the temperature, but when I said 125 watts is too big, I actually meant it's too bright.
Im using the same bulb for more than 2 months now. Eyes of my russian is clear and wide open.:rolleyes:

Bowzie

uk
F784A98D-90D8-489F-8ED7-1446F29C5F6E.jpeg 7EBFF1E3-D20C-429A-97B0-826AD5BC074B.jpeg my tort bowzer has been exactly the same, you literally described everything we went through, we ended up with a feeding tube and antibiotics and drops and a very hefty bill, and the vet also said it will be a recurring problem with his eyes,

Andy&Otis

England
View attachment 274828 View attachment 274829 my tort bowzer has been exactly the same, you literally described everything we went through, we ended up with a feeding tube and antibiotics and drops and a very hefty bill, and the vet also said it will be a recurring problem with his eyes,

Oh no! Sorry to hear that, its not nice seeing the poor guys like it :( was it RI? how is he feeling now? Did the vet say what the cause of it could have been? I'm there tomorrow myself, I imagine it will be quite costly, not looking forward to the bill, haha

Bowzie

uk
Oh no! Sorry to hear that, its not nice seeing the poor guys like it :( was it RI? how is he feeling now? Did the vet say what the cause of it could have been? I'm there tomorrow myself, I imagine it will be quite costly, not looking forward to the bill, haha
my tort didn’t have a runny nose or a cough just the swollen closed eyes, he said it could be irritation but couldn’t rule out infections so gave him antibiotics as precaution and drops and cream to apply and he has been great so far, the vet had said it could be cataracts or something more severe and long term like herpes virus, but i think it had been his dry substrate so now i mix it with organic top soil too. I hope you get yours sorted too hope it’s something simple too

Andy&Otis

England
Otis went to the vests yesterday :) I said to my girlfriend "watch him spring back to life now he's finally going to the vets" I have a video for you guys... :D
Otis is looking very healthy and his eyes are on the way to normal again. He didn't need anything! Other than a little increase in his calcium intake. Easy! However I am going to change to a 80w bulb to be on the safe side of things.

I appreciate everyone's feedback! It Means and helps a lot, thankyou ♡
Andy&Otis

Bee62

Germany
Otis went to the vests yesterday :) I said to my girlfriend "watch him spring back to life now he's finally going to the vets" I have a video for you guys... :D
Otis is looking very healthy and his eyes are on the way to normal again. He didn't need anything! Other than a little increase in his calcium intake. Easy! However I am going to change to a 80w bulb to be on the safe side of things.

I appreciate everyone's feedback! It Means and helps a lot, thankyou ♡
Andy&Otis

Good news ! Thank you for the update. Go on with the warmer night temps for a while. Long warm soaks too.
Buy some crushed cuttlebones for little Terry to eat and put them in one corner of the enclosure. It is easier for a small tort to eat crusehd cuttle bones. He will eat as much as needed. I would not feed calcium powder.
upload_2019-6-18_15-54-56.jpeg