Tortoise Behavior?

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Hi guys!

I have a Russian tortoise male, and I was wondering about his behavior. Typically, I turn on his lights for him in the morning at 8:30, and then after giving him some time to warm up (he usually sleeps right underneath his basking lamp), I change his food for him. He usually eats most of it, but then he spends the rest of the day sort of burrowed in the substrate under the lamp again. I'm wondering why he's not very active? He used to be much more active, but I don't know what changed. He has plenty of space, heat, and light, and he isn't not eating. He also has baths once every two days. Please let me know what I can do to improve this, thank you!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
What do you consider plenty of space?
Would you describe his enclosure as looking like a piece of the wild, or a dirt filled box?

He could be bored...is living outside during the day an option?

Indiana
It's like a 40 something gallon tank. It's got a log hide in the corner, bark substrate, a water bowl/pool, a couple of artificial and real plants, a slate rock and a couple of interesting looking rocks. It's a glass tank, so I've backed some of the walls with paper that's got grass printed on it. I tried to make it as natural-looking as possible :(

Unfortunately it's still too cold here for him to be out and about, but I'm definitely planning on letting him out once it warms up.

Right now in the USA
Maybe you could try to let him walk around in your room some. That's what I do with mine because when we can't be outside I want him to be able to still walk around and stuff. Mine really likes it. Otherwise you just have to wait till its warmer outside.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I think my answer explains his behavior well, he's bored :shy:

He lives in a tiny box with nothing to do, nowhere to go, nothing new to see, so he just sleeps.

He used to be much more active, but I don't know what changed.

I think he was trying to find somewhere to go and stopped once he realized he was stuck in the box.

Maybe you could try to let him walk around in your room some
I personally disagree with this advice. I cringe every time I see photos of a tortoise walking around on carpet.

I've seen my group of Russians restless in a 20' x 6' outdoor pen, so I'd never house them in something less than a 4' x 8' enclosure if they had to spend a lot of time indoors.

You've gotten some insight as to why your tortoise is behaving that way. It's now up to you on what you'll do about it. :)

Indiana
Thanks for the ideas!

I don't have a yard unfortunately, and my entire apartment (except for the bathroom and kitchen) is covered with carpet. I think I will just have to wait until it gets warmer, and let him out everyday for "walks" or something like that.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
and let him out everyday for "walks"
oooh, also not a good idea. I promise you, I'm not trying to rain on your parade! I'm trying to help you solve one problem without creating another.

Does your apartment have a patio?? Does the patio receive any sunlight? I'd be more than happy to help you plan a secure enclosure for the patio! Or I could give you lots of ideas on how to make a bigger indoor space.

Where there is a will, there is a way :D

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Well heck fire! Crank up the heat in the bathroom, pick up the throw rugs, and let him run around in there for a spell.

Just preclean any dust bunnies out. If you don't, your little buddy will certainly find them.

Indiana
Lol, no I will definitely be there keeping an eye on him! I have a little "leash" I made for him, so he won't be getting lost :D

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Since his main enclosure will be inside, see what you can to about a larger one. A bookcase converted to a tortoise table. Two 50gal rubbermaid bins connected with a door. And 'L shaped' enclosure behind a chair.

{Also, if his UV source is outdated (tube lights after 6 months, MVB's after about 12 months), consider getting a new one }

jrholls

5 Year Member
Maine
I recommend changing the substrate. I've had by far the best luck with a 50/50 mix of organic topsoil and Eco Earth coco fiber. I cant imagine bark being all that comfy to walk around on.