Tortoise Basics for Prospective or Beginner Tortoise Owners (discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Great article:) I think it was long overdue awesome job Kristina :)

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
love it. awesome. amazed I've never seen something like that before. good thinking!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
"Most tortoises will eat Spring mix, Santa Barbara mix or Rocket mix with relish."

So, I have to add relish? :)

Great job. Very well done and very nice balance among all the factors.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
HA! Might want to change the relish wording.. Since not all people who might read that will interpret it right.. !
'Is that a light sprinkling of sweet relish? I thought sweet things were not good for them?' :)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Very good little article...only suggestion I'd offer is to mention Orpuntia cactus as a great source of calcium and fiber for all species.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
try gusto

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Terry, that info is included in the diet article that I linked. I didn't want to have to get in to where to obtain Optunia and how to de-spine and all that. This particular article is just meant to be a "jumping off" point for people, not an end-all.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Really good article. As a new tortoise owner, I was feeling overwhelmed by contradictory info on the net and in books. I was grateful when I found this forum. Your article does a GREAT job of outlining husbandry basics. Great Job and Thank You.

Rob

colormyworld

5 Year Member
New York, NY
Wow, thank you for that. It boiled everything down into one easy-to-read piece, and calmed my nerves about certain things. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that, because while I spent the majority of my life with reptiles, it was more lizards than tortoises, and they are very different. Thanks again! I definitely learn a lot from this forum, and it's made me even more excited to be a tortoise owner!!!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Very nice article on tortoise basics, Kristina. Really well done. Out of curiosity, why did you not include the Hermann tortoise in that list of tortoise species? Is it because they are not as hardy as Russians and Greeks?

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
The ONLY thread that should be a front page Sticky. Well done.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Very nice article on tortoise basics, Kristina. Really well done. Out of curiosity, why did you not include the Hermann tortoise in that list of tortoise species? Is it because they are not as hardy as Russians and Greeks?

No, it was more a popularity contest, to be completely honest ;) It is something that I can go back and add, and probably will do so since you brought it up. We don't have a lot of Hermann's owners from the States here, but they are pretty popular in Europe.

onarock said:
The ONLY thread that should be a front page Sticky. Well done.

Awww, shucks
9.gif

Although... does that mean you didn't like my other two articles? LOL!

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
sacramento california
I FEEL LIKE HALF THE PEOPLE WHO SEE MY TORTS NEED TO READ THE PART ABOUT THE KIDS,CUZ EVERYTIME ONE OF MY BUDDYS OR FAMILY MEMBERS SEES MY TORTS THEY SAY ""OH THAT WOULD BE SO COOL IS LIL SO AN SO COULD HAVE ONE OF THESE""and i jus cringe when i here that thinking to myself = THESE ARE NOT TOYS........ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO MY TOADS AND FROGS BUT TORTS JUS AS MUCH ARE NOT TOYS.

Status
Not open for further replies.