Tortoise back leg and tail darkening

AndreK

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
Hi,

I have been noticing that the back leg and tail area of my tortoise is getting really dark this past 2 weeks.

I have attached some pictures for reference. I also attached one picture to show how the head area color is really light.

I'm using reptibark for the substrate and humidity is 95% in the enclosure and 100% in the humid hide where the tortoise sleeps every night.

Temperature is always above 82 and reached 92 during the day.

I have been trying to keep the substrate damp, if the top looks dry I have been spraying it. I'm afraid I might have kept the top substrate too damp.

The tortoise is otherwise healthy, active, eating and growing well.

Do you know if this is an issue?

Thank you!

20210606_201107.jpg20210606_201046.jpg20210605_201024.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's likely from the substrate. The upper part of the legs, specially the back legs look very fatty/swollen. I don't know anything about the species though so I will alert someone to this thread that might know more.
@Markw84
@Tom

AndreK

Seattle, WA
It's likely from the substrate. The upper part of the legs, specially the back legs look very fatty/swollen. I don't know anything about the species though so I will alert someone to this thread that might know more.
@Markw84
@Tom
Thank you, wellington.

As for the swelling, I believe it can still retract the back legs completely, so hopefully it's not an issue.

Here are a couple more pictures I took today and yesterday for additional reference.

20210606_195933.jpg20210605_200756.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That looks like normal staining from the substrate. I don't see anything that worries me.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Agree with others - looks normal. Also note that Burmese Stars do get dark areas and blotches on their skin. Their skin is not a uniform tan or yellow color. It has random patterns of black that develop. Similar to radiata. Makes some really interesting pattern on legs and head sometimes!

AndreK

Seattle, WA
Thank you everyone for your help!
I'm really glad to be part of this forum.

I guess I need to learn not to worry too much :)