Tortoise and the hare

drew54

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
So, i have watched the tortoise and hare races and even though they are meant for fun and everything I often wonder if the straight line course actually puts the rabbit at a disadvantage. Most of the time I'm watching the rabbits trying to see what's over the dividers instead of running the race. While that's happening the tortoise is trotting down the track beating the hare.

Very random and not important at all, just curiosity plagues my brain on this.

drew54

Indiana
I used to have a rabbit. I thought I should stage a race but never did. I don't think I even got pictures of them together.

I want a bunny, but the wife won't let me have my zoo right now until after we find a larger place. She just shakes her head when I talk about getting one to race the tortoise each year.

I think it would be cute to stage a race. I want to get a bunny in a couple years for when Nyx (my hatchling sulcata) is older so I can hold fundraisers for children through my company. I think it would be a cool thing to do each year.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I want a bunny, but the wife won't let me have my zoo right now until after we find a larger place. She just shakes her head when I talk about getting one to race the tortoise each year.

I think it would be cute to stage a race. I want to get a bunny in a couple years for when Nyx (my hatchling sulcata) is older so I can hold fundraisers for children through my company. I think it would be a cool thing to do each year.
When I first got the bunny, I kept him in a cage and let him out to run around a room a bit every day. He was too destructive, chewing on things, so I moved him outdoors. In California, the weather is nice enough year round. I put his cage outside, locked him in at night and let him run around the yard during the day. Once he escaped, and a neighbor found him. After that, he fell in love with my dog and followed the dog around all day long. He didn't try to escape anymore. He must have eaten something bad because one day he just stopped eating. There wasn't anything I could do to save him.

Jerry's Mom

MA
We have two bunnies and I've thought about staging a race, but I'm too scared the rabbits will eat my tiny Jerry so I have yet to put them near each other.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Most of the time I'm watching the rabbits trying to see what's over the dividers instead of running the race. While that's happening the tortoise is trotting down the track beating the hare.

Very random and not important at all, just curiosity plagues my brain on this.
IMG_1601.jpg
This answers it for me …

drew54

Indiana
When I first got the bunny, I kept him in a cage and let him out to run around a room a bit every day. He was too destructive, chewing on things, so I moved him outdoors. In California, the weather is nice enough year round. I put his cage outside, locked him in at night and let him run around the yard during the day. Once he escaped, and a neighbor found him. After that, he fell in love with my dog and followed the dog around all day long. He didn't try to escape anymore. He must have eaten something bad because one day he just stopped eating. There wasn't anything I could do to save him.

Maybe he was love sick?

drew54

Indiana
We have two bunnies and I've thought about staging a race, but I'm too scared the rabbits will eat my tiny Jerry so I have yet to put them near each other.
yeah I wouldn't suggest the race unless the tortoise was a bit bigger. You should post pics of your tort and bunnies.

drew54

Indiana
My tort raced a hare & won. He was motivated to get the food while the rabbit was looking around. I don't think either animal cares about the race... Lol

I think tortoises care as their reputation in the literary community is constantly challenged. I'm kidding, but seriously though.

I just find it interesting that people actually hold regular races and that the tortoise wins a lot because rabbits appear to have ADHD.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Our neighborhood has a VERY healthy rabbit population. Koopa (my 5 year old Sulcatas) is not racing any of them! Instead they share her burrow.... don’t know what I’m gonna do when the massive cottontail starts on Koopas lawn!! Tried to trap it with a cat trap to catch and release in the neighbors front yard with all its cousins but ended up just feeding it... Thinking maybe I’ll just put extra food in the enclosure to keep mr. cottontail well fed so it doesn’t destroy Koops lawn...? Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

drew54

Indiana
Our neighborhood has a VERY healthy rabbit population. Koopa (my 5 year old Sulcatas) is not racing any of them! Instead they share her burrow.... don’t know what I’m gonna do when the massive cottontail starts on Koopas lawn!! Tried to trap it with a cat trap to catch and release in the neighbors front yard with all its cousins but ended up just feeding it... Thinking maybe I’ll just put extra food in the enclosure to keep mr. cottontail well fed so it doesn’t destroy Koops lawn...? Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

Looks like you have a pet rabbit.

SheLLife

Kentucky
That's so awesome. I'll be more adventurous again when my daughter is older. Always excited n a bit surprised to find a person with similar interests and hobbies. I think I'm...different. lol