Tortoise and the City

Status
Not open for further replies.

geografini

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
So I'm looking to get my first tortoise. Although I live in a city apartment most of the year, my family has a home on Long Island as well which we go to for the summer.

I've been reading past threads and gather that a smaller species would be best for me (Russian, Hermann's, which others stay small?)
The largest enclosure I could have in the apartment would probably be something no larger than 6x3 and it would be a bookshelf on a table or desk. I could situate it so that it gets decent natural light as well. For the summer, I could build something much larger in the yard and/or basement similar to some of the enclosures some of you have larger tortoises in, like Redfoots, Yellowfoots and Sulcatas.

Would it be better to get a baby or something a few years old around 5" or something considered a full grown adult?
If the possibility of moving to a warmer climate region and having much more space is realistic in the next few years, would it be reasonable to get a large species baby now and keep it in a table type enclosure for 2-5 years? How quickly do they grow under normal captive settings?

What about species like Forsten's, Elongated, Marginated, Hingeback, Leopard, Indian, Burmese Star? I don't hear them recommended often, are they not for beginners?

I'm so glad I found this place and am anxious to hear back from all you experienced tortoise people :) :p

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
A 3' x 6' enclosure is large enough for any full grown Russian, Hermann's and even some other species. Bigger is always better but for a single tortoise of Russian size, even a couple, that size is big enough. The natural sunlight through the window will serve well for daylight, some heat and mainly as a "clock" for your tortoise. But it will not provide any UVB rays. The tortoise should also not be "trapped" in the light without a suitable place to escape the heat from the exterior light or any lighting from within it's enclosure.

Baby Russians aren't quite as commonly for sale as other baby Mediterranean tortoises but they occasionally seen. Adult Russians can be found very easily and comparatively inexpensive. I believe (my opinion only) that more sucess and enjoyment would be had with an adult as a first tortoise. Adults once acclimated to their new surroundings, are usually outgoing, curious and very active. Hatchling and very young tortoises tend to stay in hiding much more and spend a lot of time sleeping.

Marginateds are very similar in care to Hermann's and Russians and are equally as hardy but also get much larger as adults averaging anywhere from 10-12". I keep and breed Hermann's, Greek Ibera, Marginateds and Russians and quite frankly the majority of Marginateds don't have much of any outgoing personality if that is what you are looking for. At least not compared to the others. I can't speak much for the other species that you listed, I haven't kept them in years beause most of them don't do well in my climate (Northeast U.S.).

As far as captive growth rate is concerned, much of that depends very much on the keeper and how the tortoise is being fed and kept.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
For what you indicate wanting, a Hermann's would be perfect, as they have a lot of personality, once accustomed to you, and there are quite a few adult males avalable at the moment, going for about what a baby'll cost..in fact, over in the "For Sale" part of the forum, one member may still have an "imperfect" (for breeding purposes, but excellent for a pet) male at a VERY reasonable price, so this could be your lucky day!

http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Pet-Quality-Male-Hermann-s-Tortoise

M

Maggie Cummings

I agree with Terry that an adult Hermanns would be perfect. And $40 for that one is a steal frankly. They are fun and personable and you don't have to worry so much about them like you do a baby. Babies are really not for beginners IMO and if you'd read around the forum in the last couple of weeks 3 babies have died and now another member has one that is having trouble walking. So really babies are more for an experienced keeper. Plus as was already stated, babies hide and sleep most of the time and adults are out there and active. My adult female Hermanni digs around in her substrate until she finds a rock then she takes it out and pushes it around and generally plays with it. When she's done she puts it in the corner with the other rocks she's found and she never touches those again...funny and quirky...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Once again I am gonna advocate for a russian, they are hardy make a perfect first time tortoise, and if this is your first I would go with an adult, you can look on CL, for one that needs a new home.

Status
Not open for further replies.