Tortoise always has diarrhea in bath

Rocky219

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Is it normal that my Hermann Tortoise always has diarrhea in the bath. He is 3-4 years old and is a male (At least I think) Out of the bath he has one pieced normal stool but in the bath it is very messy. Is this just because of the water tearing it apart? I feed him dandelion greens, esacrole (once in a while), bok choy, radicchio, baby arugula, and mazuri tortoise pellets. Any help is much appreciated.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Many torts defecate in the bath.
The trick is to have two baths available, so then when he poops in one you can move him to the clean water while you dispose of the first and get that ready with clean water in case there's more to follow.
It could be the water affecting the form as long as he's getting a good diet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it normal that my Hermann Tortoise always has diarrhea in the bath. He is 3-4 years old and is a male (At least I think) Out of the bath he has one pieced normal stool but in the bath it is very messy. Is this just because of the water tearing it apart? I feed him dandelion greens, esacrole (once in a while), bok choy, radicchio, baby arugula, and mazuri tortoise pellets. Any help is much appreciated.
My soak water always looks like poop soup when they are done.

All of those foods sound great. Add in some cilantro, curly endive, and more escarole more often. Also add in some dried leaves from Will @Kapidolo Farms and get the "Herbal Hay" mix from @TylerStewart at tortoisesupply.com.

When warmer weather returns look for all sorts of good weeds, mulberry and grape leaves, rose of sharon leaves and flowers, etc...

Rocky219

Massachusetts
Many torts defecate in the bath.
The trick is to have two baths available, so then when he poops in one you can move him to the clean water while you dispose of the first and get that ready with clean water in case there's more to follow.
It could be the water affecting the form as long as he's getting a good diet.
Ok thank you

Rocky219

Massachusetts
My soak water always looks like poop soup when they are done.

All of those foods sound great. Add in some cilantro, curly endive, and more escarole more often. Also add in some dried leaves from Will @Kapidolo Farms and get the "Herbal Hay" mix from @TylerStewart at tortoisesupply.com.

When warmer weather returns look for all sorts of good weeds, mulberry and grape leaves, rose of sharon leaves and flowers, etc...
Ok thank you. I used to do endive but for some reason it made his poop have a little bit of blood. I then stopped giving it to him and his poop was normal. But I will definitely do those foods too