Tortoise acting weird

JennyG

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi everyone,
My tortoise has been quiet and I went to check on him and he’s abit cold. The temp is 85f.

he’s like bopping his shoulders forwards and back slowly. Like it’s his breathing?
And he’s not moving about just in one place.
Any ideas?

EchoFrost

Idaho
Hi Jenny, I suspect your tortoise is ok. They'll pump their front legs back and forth for breathing pretty frequently. You'll probably want to add some more details here for anyone else that sees this thread. You'll inevitably be asked for species and such :p

JennyG

Uk
Thank you. It’s a Horsefield tortoise.
I only got him on Friday. He’s not 1 year yet.

EchoFrost

Idaho
Would love to see some pictures! Getting a tort is very exciting but I definitely understand how some of their behaviors (like the leg pumping) can be pretty scary at first glance. He's probably all good and just getting used to his new space. :)

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi everyone,
My tortoise has been quiet and I went to check on him and he’s abit cold. The temp is 85f.

he’s like bopping his shoulders forwards and back slowly. Like it’s his breathing?
And he’s not moving about just in one place.
Any ideas?
The use of the front legs to help get air into the lungs is a sign of possible respiratory infection/pneumonia. Do you see any bubbles or discharge from the nostrils? Has the tortoise been opening his mouth also when trying to breathe?

Finally, the tortoise isn't getting overheated is it? How warm is the top of its shell?

JennyG

Uk
The use of the front legs to help get air into the lungs is a sign of possible respiratory infection/pneumonia. Do you see any bubbles or discharge from the nostrils? Has the tortoise been opening his mouth also when trying to breathe?

Finally, the tortoise isn't getting overheated is it? How warm is the top of its shell?
No nothing from his nose and he was cold. His shell was cold.

EchoFrost

Idaho
An infrared thermometer will be your best friend with tortoise care. I definitely recommend one for measuring more exact temps of your tort and around their enclosure.

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
No nothing from his nose and he was cold. His shell was cold.

I would try and give him a warm soak.
Get a basin or in the tub...
fill warm water up to the bottom of his shell and let him soak for a good while . Maybe 30 mins. See if that perks him up?