Tortiose is weeing brown urine amd straining

Natalie89x

Location (City and/or State)
Windsor
Hello
My horsfield tortiose has been peeing brown urine for a few weeks now and straining while going I havent seen any pooh for 3 weeks either, shes eating weeds but some days she doesnt want her food. I have to keep putting her to her food every morning as she will litterally just sleep all day otherwise. She moves around a little bit but not as much as she use to. Ive been bathing daily aswell. Does anyone have any advice please

bella&george

AZ
Hi there! Your tortoise seems very unhealthy if they haven't pooped at all. What other foods does your tortoise eat? If you try giving them a large variety of veggies, edible plants, and even some hay or grass it can encourage them to eat. It could be helpful to take your tortoise to the vet if you have any in your area, preferably one that specializes in exotic animals. You say you've been bathing your tort - If you aren't already, I would suggest soaking them for longer periods of time, maybe 30 mins every other day, or every day. A babyfood or carrot/pumkin soak could also help. (You can find more info on this with a quick search here on TFO). It sounds like you tort isn't getting enough water, nor are they getting enough food- or variety. Make sure your tortoise eats, and always have a shallow bowl of water for your tortoise in their enclosure. (One that they can fit in). As many people here use, terra cotta plant saucers work very well for this. Soaking will encourage urinating and pooping. I don't know much about horsfield tortoises so hopefully someone more expierienced can give some better advice. Please keep us updated and I hope your tortoise gets better!

bella&george

AZ
I also should have asked- how old is your tort? And what kind of enclosure do they stay in?

Natalie89x

Windsor
Hi there! Your tortoise seems very unhealthy if they haven't pooped at all. What other foods does your tortoise eat? If you try giving them a large variety of veggies, edible plants, and even some hay or grass it can encourage them to eat. It could be helpful to take your tortoise to the vet if you have any in your area, preferably one that specializes in exotic animals. You say you've been bathing your tort - If you aren't already, I would suggest soaking them for longer periods of time, maybe 30 mins every other day, or every day. A babyfood or carrot/pumkin soak could also help. (You can find more info on this with a quick search here on TFO). It sounds like you tort isn't getting enough water, nor are they getting enough food- or variety. Make sure your tortoise eats, and always have a shallow bowl of water for your tortoise in their enclosure. (One that they can fit in). As many people here use, terra cotta plant saucers work very well for this. Soaking will encourage urinating and pooping. I don't know much about horsfield tortoises so hopefully someone more expierienced can give some better advice. Please keep us updated and I hope your tortoise gets better!

Natalie89x

Windsor
She is on all safe weeds sow thistle, plantain etc She is bathed every other day she has a saucer in her table with water her urate isn't hard either. Ive tried giving her cucumber and aloe Vera to try and help her go to the toilet but hasn't worked. I will contact my vet in the morning. Thanks

bella&george

AZ
She is on all safe weeds sow thistle, plantain etc She is bathed every other day she has a saucer in her table with water her urate isn't hard either. Ive tried giving her cucumber and aloe Vera to try and help her go to the toilet but hasn't worked. I will contact my vet in the morning. Thanks
I can't say I know much about a horsefield's diet.. but If you can I would try incorporating some dandelion greens or some dark, leafy green vegetables into her diet. I've also heard that pumkin helps some torts poop, so you could try that. And no problem.

bella&george

AZ
Here's another care sheet by Tom to check out ?. More up-to-date than the other one and lots more of useful info.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I would suggest more soaks. Do them at least daily, and try for an hour in warm water. Don't let the water cool...keep it between 33-35°C.

Additionally, when she tries to get out of the soaking bin, leave her in it. The exercise of trying to climb out is very helpful to get things moving. We call it the 'tortoise treadmill'.

As said above, feed wet foods like cucumber, aloe, opuntia (cactus), called nopales in Mexican markets...though you're probably not overrun with Mexican markets in Windsor! ?

You can also use a bit of oil. Here in the US we get mineral oil...it's baby oil but has no additives, like fragrances, etc. I've read that you can't get it in the UK, so you could use a bit of extra virgin olive oil instead.

VERY IMPORTANT! Never give any oil directly into the tort's mouth! They can't feel it in their mouth, and are likely to aspirate it.

So, take a leafy green that your tort really likes. Put a few drops of olive oil on it, and then roll it up into a tube. Let the tort take bites off the end while you hold it.

You can also use a syringe without a needle to put a couple drops of oil into the cloaca to 'grease the way'.

All of these might take more than once, but should eventually work.

Natalie89x

Windsor
Thank you I will have a look im going to give her another bath this morning so will check then. Thank you

Diane771

5 Year Member
What color should a Russian Tortoise pee? Sally has white globs and yellow with clear around it. She seems like she is healthy so not sure if this is normal

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
They have urates white and the more hydrated they are the thinner it is and then the wee can get lost in the water bath but sometimes seen as a deep yellow brown or lighter and virtually invisible in the water. I change water when I see the urate to avoid them drinking dirty water. Hope that helps? With white globs as you say I would increase the soaks in warm shallow water in a high sided container. I use 2 x washing up bowls and place your tortoise in for 40 mins. Over time they get use to it. They will drink the water helping hydration. Read the care sheet on post 10.