Tortilla needs you

vianey1126

Location (City and/or State)
Southern Arizona
HELLO! I'm going to get a sulcata hatchling very soon, so I'm slowly gathering my things together. My starter set up for a few months is the black tub in the picture with a plexiglass roof like in the other example picture. I will be utilizing orchid bark for substrate, as per advice from a moderator from a group im in. I've been around many conflicting websites, guides, forums, etc., and my questions are:
• I know I should have a nice ceramic heater, but should that have its separate thermostat? and should it be right next to the other light or separated?
• I heard Mercury vapor spotlights basking lights are a no What's best? Should that have its own thermostat too? I'm also concerned if the distance I have planned is going to be too close to the tortoise (measurements of enclosure in pics) or if the lights will mess with the plastics of either of the bins -- what bin is nice btw?
• I cannot find a good thermostat and humidity thing. I don't know how to find a good one with a timer and a good type (dimmer, pulse, etc.). Nor do I know if I should have a separate humidity one where near where my hide will be.
• In regards to the set up, would the third pic with the box and yellow lid be better overall? And with or without plexiglass?
All these questions!! I apologize for the essay and if this is all repetitive, I'm just pressed for time, hoping to get specific concerns answered, and I just want to do this right. I'm hoping for quick responses as I have been posting in other places and haven't gotten any straight answers if any. Thanks in advance! (PS I might name my tortoise Tortilla).

Attachments

• tub.jpg
    tub.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 20
  • plexiroof.png
    plexiroof.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 21
  • samstub.jpg
    samstub.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 20

nicoleann2214

NY
Hello. Welcome. I have had my Sulcata since a wee baby, and I started her out in a bad enclosure. I quickly changed it to a Grow tent, a few members on here actually have one as well. I have had no issues with mine, but I suggest if you go this route you buy one of the bigger ones because sulcatas grow very very fast! Mine is a year and a half and is already 10 pounds. Here are some pictures of my set up, and it has promoted nice smooth steady growth. I highly recommend the grow tent. I have seen a few members have used the tubs and they have seemed to work fine. @Tom is one of the most knowledgeable guys on here, he will steer you in the right direction. I owe him many thanks, as he has helped me give my tortoise a great start at life!

—Here is the photo of mine, I must add this is when I first set it up, and most of the things I added in there was bulldozed down and destroyed. So be prepared?

Attachments

• 8F04832F-0488-419B-A30F-16D6BCD02D6E.png
    8F04832F-0488-419B-A30F-16D6BCD02D6E.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 30

vianey1126

Southern Arizona
Hello. Welcome. I have had my Sulcata since a wee baby, and I started her out in a bad enclosure. I quickly changed it to a Grow tent, a few members on here actually have one as well. I have had no issues with mine, but I suggest if you go this route you buy one of the bigger ones because sulcatas grow very very fast! Mine is a year and a half and is already 10 pounds. Here are some pictures of my set up, and it has promoted nice smooth steady growth. I highly recommend the grow tent. I have seen a few members have used the tubs and they have seemed to work fine. @Tom is one of the most knowledgeable guys on here, he will steer you in the right direction. I owe him many thanks, as he has helped me give my tortoise a great start at life!

—Here is the photo of mine, I must add this is when I first set it up, and most of the things I added in there was bulldozed down and destroyed. So be prepared?
This is amazing!! Where did you get this and what brand? Also, can i see another pic to see the setup a bit more?

nicoleann2214

NY

nicoleann2214

NY
They come in a variety of sizes, some are a bit pricey. I will try to find some more pictures of my set up for you!

nicoleann2214

NY
This is amazing!! Where did you get this and what brand? Also, can i see another pic to see the setup a bit more?
Here are some of the photos of the first one ( dont buy that kind of water dish) I made several changes.
And here are some of the one I am using now. The only thing I suggest if you use this you line the tent with tarps or something heavy duty so it doesn’t leak out of the bottom. We can go into more detail if you need further information. @Srmcclure has one and it looks beautiful maybe she will share some pictures with you:)

Attachments

• ECA4C7D5-F3D9-4466-A9FC-0A56A18F2443.png
    ECA4C7D5-F3D9-4466-A9FC-0A56A18F2443.png
    255.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 2A1A0293-9EAB-4547-9CB4-B8FE0E18D992.png
    2A1A0293-9EAB-4547-9CB4-B8FE0E18D992.png
    394.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 9668F1AB-C320-4517-B059-A2ACEC36ECEA.png
    9668F1AB-C320-4517-B059-A2ACEC36ECEA.png
    344.4 KB · Views: 30

vianey1126

Southern Arizona
They come in a variety of sizes, some are a bit pricey. I will try to find some more pictures of my set up for you!
thank you!!! you're so kind!! Do you have any recommendations on bulbs, thermometers/humidity-mometer (i keep forgetting what theyre called lol), and such? I hope im not being a bother

vianey1126

Southern Arizona
Here are some of the photos of the first one ( dont buy that kind of water dish) I made several changes.
And here are some of the one I am using now. The only thing I suggest if you use this you line the tent with tarps or something heavy duty so it doesn’t leak out of the bottom. We can go into more detail if you need further information. @Srmcclure has one and it looks beautiful maybe she will share some pictures with you:)
Wow! it looks beautiful in there! Im sure Tortilla would love that xD

nicoleann2214

NY
thank you!!! you're so kind!! Do you have any recommendations on bulbs, thermometers/humidity-mometer (i keep forgetting what theyre called lol), and such? I hope im not being a bother
You’re so welcome! You’re not being a bother, I use one of the meters right from Walmart it tells you the temp and humidity level that is in your enclosure. I use CHE bulbs for heat, this kind of bulb doesn’t give off any light it is mainly for heat, I have a couple in my enclosure as it is a big enclosure to keep heated. A lot of members on here recommend the heat panels, I’m not really sure how you set those up but some of the members could help with that. I also use an incandescent basking bulb, and I have a strip UVB bulb that I hang in there as well. Here is the link for the temp reader I have two in mine on each end. https://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-...Temperature-and-Humidity-Gauge-00325/16888914

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
⁸Hey @nicoleann2214! It's been a while since I posted my tent lol. I don't have a current one as we are in the process of moving, but I can show my redfoots ? idk if I have any anymore of Ghido's... ?
20210719_162649.jpg20210719_162654.jpg

I actually used/use radiant heat panels in both of my grow tents which is why you can't see a heat source in those pics, just my Arcadia light. I love them! They don't leave hot spots like a CHE, but they are definitely more pricey. I started with CHE's and they work great if you get everything you need to do it properly.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
HELLO! I'm going to get a sulcata hatchling very soon, so I'm slowly gathering my things together. My starter set up for a few months is the black tub in the picture with a plexiglass roof like in the other example picture. I will be utilizing orchid bark for substrate, as per advice from a moderator from a group im in. I've been around many conflicting websites, guides, forums, etc., and my questions are:
• I know I should have a nice ceramic heater, but should that have its separate thermostat? and should it be right next to the other light or separated?
• I heard Mercury vapor spotlights basking lights are a no What's best? Should that have its own thermostat too? I'm also concerned if the distance I have planned is going to be too close to the tortoise (measurements of enclosure in pics) or if the lights will mess with the plastics of either of the bins -- what bin is nice btw?
• I cannot find a good thermostat and humidity thing. I don't know how to find a good one with a timer and a good type (dimmer, pulse, etc.). Nor do I know if I should have a separate humidity one where near where my hide will be.
• In regards to the set up, would the third pic with the box and yellow lid be better overall? And with or without plexiglass?
All these questions!! I apologize for the essay and if this is all repetitive, I'm just pressed for time, hoping to get specific concerns answered, and I just want to do this right. I'm hoping for quick responses as I have been posting in other places and haven't gotten any straight answers if any. Thanks in advance! (PS I might name my tortoise Tortilla).
First and foremost, do NOT buy from the wrong source. Almost no one starts babies correctly and a large percentage of them are going to die in 6 weeks to 6 months no matter what anyone does. Do NOT buy a dry started baby that has been kept outside all day, or on dry substrate of any kind, not soaked daily, not kept in a brooder box, and not started on the right foods. Before you buy, read these threads. We just had ANOTHER case of this today:

By contrast, read these for how babies should be started:
If the breeder/seller didn't keep them in a brooder box set up of some sort for 7-10 days, DON'T BUY IT!!! Feel free to ask for recommendations.

Second order of business: Disregard what you've read from all the "research" you've been doing. Almost all of that is bad info and will lead to pyramiding and/or death. Most breeders are going to give you this same wrong info. Here is the correct care info if you want a healthy, thriving sulcata baby:

After reading these threads, feel free to come back with all your questions. I hope that this post will help prevent another heartbroken new tortoise keeper and instead create a happy and rewarding tortoise experience for you.

vianey1126

Southern Arizona
Thank you all so much! You've all inspired great enclosure ideas and gave great info! I'll definitely be keeping all of this in mind. I appreciate you all being a helpful and friendly community.

UnHooked

Kilgore Texas
So I need a tarp on outside of tent on floor? A tarp on inside on floor? Do I tape them o the sides of tent? Would the tape throw off fumes from heat lamps? Sorry to be a bother just trying to get this right. I have already wasted money on so much stuff that wasn't correct for baby sulcata. Want to do it right and be done!

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
So I need a tarp on outside of tent on floor? A tarp on inside on floor? Do I tape them o the sides of tent? Would the tape throw off fumes from heat lamps? Sorry to be a bother just trying to get this right. I have already wasted money on so much stuff that wasn't correct for baby sulcata. Want to do it right and be done!
I do inside and out cuz im paranoid about my floors lol. The inside I use a thick clear shower curtain and black gorilla tape. No issues with fumes because all of my stuff is on a therm so it doesn't get hot enough any way. I just safety pin the outside tarp to the 4 outside corners. Sorry, i know that's a bit hard to explain.... the mylar will be water resistant, but the seams are not, that's why I use both.
20220723_185520.jpg