Tortie Newbie

TennisGecko

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana USA
i I'm new and I have question about my future Torrie I'm getting!
I really want one of these since I think they would fit me right
Russian Tort or Red Foot (or Cherry head). I think one of those would be great for me, it will be my birthday Present, I have lots of Geckos right now and I always wanted a tort and I think I'm going to be old enough now :)
I have studied both but I just want the exact care for both of them. I heard Russians hybernate a lot is that true? I was hoping to get one for around 100$-150$ Range. I want to keep him\her in my house all the time in the Winter, and hours in the summer, The enclosure for inside I want to be is a 50 gallon tank and I will build a Outdoor one if someone has plans, i havempretty secure pen but a Tortoise could easily get out so I want to build the enclosure in the pen so it could prevent animals from getting in. I live in Indiana so it does get cold here from like Oct. to like March or April. So any other care info will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!!

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
hello and welcome to the forum. yes russians do hibernate but hibernation is not mediatory, i have never hibernated my russians and they are in perfect health. all tortoises do best outside, its best to make an outside enclosure for the summers. 50 gallon is way to small for a russian tortoise, they may be small but they get stressed in small cages, the smallest cage for a russian is 4ft by 8ft. read this care sheet :) http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

TennisGecko

Indiana USA
Thanks for the info :) I will probly go with the 4ft by 8ft size if you think that is big enough,also I heard it is .......not certain that a Hatchling will survive is that true or should I get like a yearling?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). A Russian is a very good starter tortoise. I would stick to that species. It's hard to get a hatchling though, an adult is much easier and there usually are always some needing a good home on Craigs list. The 50 gallons is too small for any tortoise as a perminent indoor home.

TortMomma

Yeah but it's not recommended to get them because it's so expensive. You can get 2 50gal Rubbermaid totes cut the sides on each and fasten them together. It will be a lot bigger, waterproof, and cost a lot less (@ $30-40).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If I was to get the zoomed tortoise house I would need two put together right?

Hello and welcome.

There is not a commercially made tortoise enclosure that is suitable. You will need to make something, or have someone else make it for you. Hatchlings are just as easy as adults, but there is less margin for error, due to their smaller body size. Set them up correctly, and they will do fine for you. If you set them up incorrectly, and adult will get sick too, it might just take a little longer.

Closed chambers work best for housing tortoises indoors. They make it easy to maintain heat and humidity, and they use a lot less electricity.

Do not worry about the price of your tortoise. They can live for many decades, so a few bucks won't way or the other is insignificant. Buy from a reputable source that starts their babies correctly. Worry about the health of your new tortoise, not the price.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome tothe TFO from AZ . If you want a store bought enclosure do what I did go to Home Depot and get a kit for a raised flower bed its4x4 and I expanded mine to 4x6 bought 4 Fence boards it sells for about $69.00 .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

TennisGecko

Indiana USA
One more question.......for now ;)
It might sound stupid but... When should I feed him\her?
My geckos I feed every two days, so do I feed them every day or every 2 days???.......or...

Alaskamike

South Florida
As you will discover the more you read here , the exact way you set the environment up is of top importance to the health and longevity of the tortoise. The more you study the recommendations, the better.

It does not have to be expensive. It's the principles that count.

Feeding varies. Most provide feed daily, some every other , and some ( the best I believe ) provide grazing always available with growing food in the enclosure and supplement with variety. The RIGHT foods in variety is most important

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome! If you what information on red footed tortoises try the tortoise library . It's a members site and has some very good information .